Backwards Kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
There is recent discussion in a SB thread about some exercises portrayed in some videos. One of the things mentioned was the backwards kick.

Here are a couple of videos that helped me tremendously in figuring out and refining the backwards kick:

I hope someone finds them useful in developing their personal skill repertoire.

-Z

There is recent discussion in a SB thread about some exercises portrayed in some videos. One of the things mentioned was the backwards kick.

Here are a couple of videos that helped me tremendously in figuring out and refining the backwards kick:

I hope someone finds them useful in developing their personal skill repertoire.

-Z
This is an amazing video, if only I had this last year.

By the way, I find it more natural to slightly move the knees outwards so I can put the fins more in a V position. I don’t think it’s a very big movement but it makes my back kick much more powerful: it’s possible that I am compensating for a lack of flexibility.

Is it really bad to move the knees a bit outward when bringing the fins together ?

This is an amazing video, if only I had this last year.

By the way, I find it more natural to slightly move the knees outwards so I can put the fins more in a V position. I don’t think it’s a very big movement but it makes my back kick much more powerful: it’s possible that I am compensating for a lack of flexibility.

Is it really bad to move the knees a bit outward when bringing the fins together ?

I think it only matters that it works for you. I don't think there is a specific codified way the kick "needs" to be performed. If you find that moving your knees outward helps make the kick more effective/powerful for you then keep doing it.

-Z

Wow, in the first video of backkicking, the diver can articulate his ankles really well. That's challenging u/w.

The second video is a little less polished, and he's missing the glide phase of the backkick. So he's working harder and has a less powerful kick.

I can vouch for my UTD Precision Neutral fins that are featured in both videos. I absolutely love them! :)

subscribing to bookmark this for later...

I can vouch for my UTD Precision Neutral fins that are featured in both videos. I absolutely love them! :)

I also love them, not "UTD" but identical brother from the same Taiwanese mold. I also have Power Fins, Jets, and Hollis F1s. The Jets are too "blocky", and the F1s are too flippy-floppy. I can't find one of my Power fins, but the UTD/Poseiden/HOG/etc. ones are, by far, the easiest to manipulate and feel where they are in the water. I prefer the Power-Fins with bulky fleece in winter.

When I get home, I’ll go through my notes from my ITT class with @abnfrog /Steve Simpson in August. He talked about back kick (and frog) during our classroom time, then he has us (@lowviz took it with me) on our bellies on a table to get muscle memory down before we got in the water.

Steve broke back kick down into four parts. After seeing me try it on the table once, he had me position my legs a bit differently due to the sciatica in my one hip, as my range of motion was not as good as it would have otherwise been.

subscribing to bookmark this for later...
There’s a ‘shortcut/link’ called Watch Thread somewhere on the top right.

you can use it to follow a thread without replying. Only mentioning because I didn’t know until recently myself.

Steve broke back kick down into four parts.
Same thing, though. V, 90, Power, Reset. I find Steve's 'mental notes' easier to remember. Just me, YMMV.

What I did get from the first vid was the unconscious tendency to drop one's head while thinking about the back kick. I do that! That tip was the last piece of the puzzle for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom