Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when an experienced diver dies, it gives us a certain pause. "If they aren't safe,then who is?"
IMNSHO: Nobody.

While simple rec diving is rather safe and really doesn't deserve the high-risk sport label some insurance companies have slapped it with, advanced (tech) diving comes with a risk. Sometimes Murphy works overtime, and there's no way to mitigate the inherent risks. Every diver, from the n00b rec diver to the advanced tech diver should make a sober evaluation of where their personal risk limit is, and act accordingly. And if S(majorly)HTF, there's little one can do about it.

and there's no way to mitigate the inherent risks.
There are always ways to mitigate risks. Sometimes you just have to think outside the rebreather.

There are always ways to mitigate risks.
Yes, but there's a point where you just can't mitigate all the risks. That's when it's time to do a risk analysis and decide on which risk level is right for you. And accept the consequences.

For any endeavor, not particularly unique to diving.

Precisely. None of us want to be 'next'. It's not ghoulish: it's survival. When a noob dies, we shake our collective heads, cite the need for better training, honoring their limits and/or hubris. The ocean is a harsh mistress and doesn't suffer fools. But, when an experienced diver dies, it gives us a certain pause. "If they aren't safe,then who is?" Here in cave country, we are often chastised for wanting to know what happened. They claim it's not our right to know and they always couch simple reasonable requests as demanding answers right this instant. This is not the same as rubbernecking at an accident. Not even close. We want to know how and why our heroes die. So, as Sam so aptly pointed out, we might possibly avoid the same mistake.

Exactly. The whole reason that this A&I forum exists is to save lives, and that's what these discussions often do. Remember, it's not a legal deposition. It's more important that we use the accident as a springboard for discussion of specific risks as they become identified than that we come up with a precisely correct conclusion about what happened in this particular case.

I'm of course sorry for this loss, for her buddies and her family. But we can't let that prevent discussion, or there will never be an appropriate time to ask what happened. If we were to say "too soon", and vow not to read or participate in A&I threads within X number of days of the event, what will happen is that the rest of us (who didn't know her) will just forget about it and lose the opportunity to learn.

Anyone know which rebreather she was diving?

I read it was an Inspiration and saw a picture of her with an AP BOV. Very sad. Was lucky enough to meet her when she spoke to a group here in town. From what little I know of her, I would guess that she would be the first one to want others to (respectfully) learn from the tragedy.

Exactly. The whole reason that this A&I forum exists is to save lives, and that's what these discussions often do...But we can't let that prevent discussion, or there will never be an appropriate time to ask what happened.

How about giving this about 48 hours and then opening up discussions? Fiona died less than 24 hours ago.

Anyone know which rebreather she was diving?

rEVO?

F8B43338-0E03-4EE2-B1E9-D29EF866F432.jpeg
FAE3A7FC-F04B-4735-878E-871EAD2E017C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom