Dive operator rec for Amed, Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont disagree, Mike. Should I ever do the safari thing around Bali, I would absolutely be happy to spend three or four dives there, but would not up camp there for a week as I would in Tulamben or Padang Bai.
Yes, but if you are staying in Tulamben it's easy to do a day of diving the critter sites in Amed. It's only 15-20 mins by car

Yes, but if you are staying in Tulamben it's easy to do a day of diving the critter sites in Amed. It's only 15-20 mins by car

Surely. Although it comes to the fact the hardcore macro dive operators in Tulamben seldom propose trips to Amed area (which is more like a 30 minutes ride just for the closer spots in Amed... and that would be something like an hour ride for the japanese wreck), while you will find Amed operations diving Tulamben dive sites.
Why is that? I come to the same conclusion as Matt : everything you have in Amed can be found in Tulamben and more.

Off course I'd gladly hear there are some unknown sites in Amed that deliver something that can match up Tulamben (meaning not Melasti Amed, neither Ghostbay). I'm all ears.:)

Note I said Gili Air is my favorite place when traveling with non-divers. There is tons to do there: water sports, great restaurants, bars, a small party scene, yoga, sandy beaches, warm and clear water, and an awesome vibe. The party scene increases ten-fold on Gili T if that is your thing.

Is the coral subpar to Lembongan and macro less than Tulamben? Yes. But one can go out for a dive and be back in under two hours to be with the significant other. And FWIW, when the water is right dives on sites like Simon's Reef and Shark Point can be every bit as beautiful as some Bali sites. Sometimes a leisurely dive in blue warm water with a bunch of turtles beats the heck out of flying at 50 mph over Nusa Penida coral in freezing water and not seeing anything. In the Gilis you will see more turtles than you can imagine, decent macro, and a good share of white tip sharks. Heck, I have spent ten minutes with a six meter whale shark off Gili T. I have pics to prove it.

Below are a couple of Facebook albums. I take a bunch of 9th graders there for Open Water class every year so pictures are not the priority, but you get the idea.

In short, it is a great compromise when understanding that non-divers are second class citizens at the best places in Indonesia.

Matthew Schafer

Matthew Schafer

Matt, how about Nusa Lembongan for a trip with non-divers (adults & kids)?
Bali's on our radar again for next year and I'm currently thinking either Padang Bai, Amed, or Lembongan, or a combination of two of those.
I have also considered Gili Air, but as we did a Gili Air, Tulamben & Canadidasa trip last time I would like to visit other places.
Also my eldest son is a much more competent swimmer/snorkeller now so I'm looking for somewhere with easy access to good snorkelling.
I wasn't blown away by the snorkelling at Gili Air to say the least, apart from being able to spend lots of time with turtles in the shallows, which awesome for me, but especially for my son!

@UFOrb when are you planning to revisit Bali?

Hi Dan. August 2020, in the school holidays, unfortunately. I've heard Bali gets very busy that time of year. The good thing is that there's a higher chance to see Mola Mola at that time I hear.
Last time we visited in May and it was pretty quiet , although Gili Air was quite busy.

Yep. The best time of the year (July-September), cool breeze coming from Australian winter through Indian Ocean.

Of course it’s the Mola Mola season, which I’m nuts about, can’t you tell? :D

Matt, how about Nusa Lembongan for a trip with non-divers (adults & kids)?

Im the last one to ask as it has been many years since I stayed out there and I know things have grown, changed, and morphed a ton. Both times I did stay there I was in hardcore dive mode and really didnt think about how Lembongan would be with non-divers. Today, Im not a fan of the diving out there, but only because I'm really only happy doing muck and macro stuff, I have seen my share of mantas and mola-2, and a crowded Cristal Bay just isn't for me.

I do have a number of non-divng friends who swear by this place: Dream Beach Lembongan – Nusa Lembongan, Bali, Indonesia

Maybe check it out?

a crowded Cristal Bay just isn't for me.

I’m the opposite. My muck diving days are over. I’m into pelagic diving now.

Last month (20 September), I was in Nusa Penida and did the Manta Point, which wasn’t so crowded to my surprise. Then we did the 2nd & 3rd dives in Blue Corner since no report of sighting of Mola Mola in Crystal Bay in the previous days. May be the crowd chased them away?

That was an amazing day. In Blue Corner, we only saw 2-3 boats. The Crystal Bay crowd saw this, Great White spotted at Crystal Bay while we were in Blue Corner swimming with 4 Mola Mola & chasing Thresher shark. :D

2A9B4445-4570-4DF9-90C5-08D89E465135.jpeg
7E5A5B57-91A8-4295-B461-2F4AEF0B6394.jpeg
3A1C57FA-46B2-426D-A4F3-3A2B20132A41.jpeg
581C29CE-1EC9-4EAE-A818-BE48FC3D0B81.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom