Using a flashlight as colour enhancer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corallium

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I forget where I read this, but some dive website suggested using a flashlight during day dives to enhance the reds that get filtered out.

Is this a thing that will work, or will I just look like a complete tool? My next diving destination is Hurghada, and I assume the visibility and brightness is already pretty amazing (just what I've heard). Would a flashlight actually do anything for the colours?

Oh hell yes. I use one all the time. Nooks and crannies a light brings out tons of colors. Just a small one so you are not lugging a big drag along, but yes, they do help bring out the color. Plus you can spot critters in their hidey holes too. There are always shadowed spots than can use a little more illumination.

Oh hell yes. I use one all the time. Nooks and crannies a light brings out tons of colors. Just a small one so you are not lugging a big drag along, but yes, they do help bring out the color. Plus you can spot critters in their hidey holes too. There are always shadowed spots than can use a little more illumination.
Completely agree. Crevices may be covered with bright colors you'll never know are there without a light.

Awesome, well I'll be buying one for sure then. Do you have any affordable recommendations?

Heck yes. Always dive with a light!

On every dive and they're not even there until you want them

full.jpg

How do you like my stainless key rings for attaching clips instead of that silly string

Be careful. Using torch for day dives is addictive. After few dives with it, diving without it feels much much more dull...

I have one of these:
Sea Dragon Mini 900 Torch

Very compact, only needs one rechargeable 18650 battery (or 2x CR123 batteries), and has various settings; full, half & quarter power, flashing, sos. I just clip it off on my shoulder D ring and tuck it into a rubber band on the webbing so it’s not dangling when not in use.
Plenty bright to light up nooks and crannies etc during the day.
I haven't used it on a night dive yet but I'm sure it's more than adequate.

I like the Xtar D26 1100. Its a chinese / ebay knockoff, bit well made. You can get it (without a battery) on ebay for ~ $60. There's a few in depth reviews on here. I like that it takes the larger 26650 or smaller 18650.

I too take it on every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom