Oil change question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Alkin W31 Mariner that I bought new and use to fill personal tanks for my wife and myself. We have been diving away mostly so its only done about 40 hours over the last 18 months and due to the high humidity around here I have repacked the purifier filter twice.
The oil was obviously overdue a change so I decided to do that but could not find any Anderol 750 when I was in Florida last week, the best I could do was FE-150 premium compressor oil from DGX. As far as I can tell the Anderol is ISO 150 and so is the DGX oil so I contacted the DGX staff and they said it should be an OK replacement.

Alkin, however, state in all their literature that only Anderol 750 can be used. Despite this I dropped the old oil and replaced with 550 mls of the FE-150.
As a test run I filled an AL80 that had about 2000 PSI in it up to 3000 PSI.
First thing I noticed was the compressor was running way quieter than usual- that's good right!?
Next thing was that it seemed to be running a little faster RPM than previously and filling a little faster- although I have not actually quantified any of these observations.
Lastly the cylinders (all stages) felt hotter to the touch than I would normally expect after a 5 minute run.
So, am I doing something incredibly stupid or should it be OK to continue with this oil?

Anderol 750? My guess is that the DGX is repackaged Chemlube 751. I remember when Bauer required Anderol, then they required Chemlube 751, and then Chemlube 800.

I prefer Chemlube products, but I can't imagine that substituting Chemlube for Anderol or vice versa will have any effect on your compressor.

It's a lot like saying that you should use Shell Rotella over the same grade of Mobil Delvac. There might be a difference to someone, but not likely to you.

If you look at the DGX MSDS for that oil the oil's viscosity at 40 C is only 99 cSt so that is and ISO 100 oil and your compressor calls for an ISO 150 weight oil. Given you're operating in the tropics I'd be hesitant to use the lighter weight oil in the high temps.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/amfile/file/download/file/15/product/7040/

You could use the Chemlube 800 which is an ISO 150 oil and available here rebranded for Bauer:
Bauer Synthetic Lubricant OIL-0024 - August Industries Inc.

Nuvair sells the Chemlube 751 rebranded as Nuvair on their web site. It is an ISO 150 oil.
https://www.nuvair.com/brochures/Nuvair_751_2019.pdf

That should give you a few equivalent options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom