Reef House trip report Oct 5-12 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baggins_69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sitting in the airport writing this on my phone so it will be fairly brief.

Overall we had an excellent time, fantastic diving, excellent divemaster, excellent service, great people.

Got in 17 dives for the week, I missed 2 due to a head cold. 2 night dives, 2 shore dives.
The house reef is excellent and easy to access, lots of life, coral in good shape.

There were only 3 of us diving so it really was a boutique diving experience with Davit tailoring the sites and the dive profile and even the surface intervals to our requests and abilities, we were never rushed, dives averaging almost 70 minutes each with air being the limitation rather than schedule. Saw an amazing variety and quantity of life, amazing huge barrel sponges, a pair of eagle rays, octopus, lobster, king crab... Sadly no turtles. Apparently the people from the mainland are catching to sell the meat.

Lionfish quantities were dramatically lower than 5 years ago. Only saw at most 2 per dive when previously we would see dozens...

The food was good, but not fancy, service prompt and courteous.

The accommodations are _rustic_. A/C just takes the edge off in your room at night. If you are looking for a 5 star resort with shiatsu spa, this is not your place. But if you like laid back old school carribean then it is.

Bugs were not bad,. Bugspray below the knees was all that was needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_063155.jpg
    IMG_20191012_063155.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 129
Thanks for your report baggins_69.

I was at Reef House more than 10 years ago and enjoyed it very much. Now that I have a shiny new buddy to break in I was thinking this would be a good place for him to get some experience.

Did you book directly with Reef House?

Was nitrox available? I see no mention of it on their website.

Thanks,
hdigit

Yes, I booked directly with them.

I don't know about nitrox, I don't have the training so it isn't something I asked about

Thanks for posting. Reef House Resort use to get the sporadic review here, sort of a cheaper, more rustic option than CocoView Resort, but IIRC correctly there've been changes over the years and I wondered what the current status was. Good to hear a current report!

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom