Scuba Club DM Busted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never seen a DM at SCC tolerate such behavior at all. In fact, we saw a DM chew out a customer on the boat after a dive for touching a sponge. I am sure the DM got disciplined for it, or possibly suspended. Most of the DMs at SCC have been there 10+ years and know the rules well, appreciate their jobs.

The dive guide shown and the person harassing the toad fish are not the same person.

The Facebook post shows a guy holding a toadfish, that is the previous problem that the post talks about - the current problem is in the videos, there’s three of them, one clearly shows the boat, possibly the DM (guy is carrying a same looking poker), harassing a toadfish and also a scorpion fish. These videos are from within the last few weeks, I forget the date.

From what I understand, the marine park is aware and dealing with it.

The Facebook post shows a guy holding a toadfish, that is the previous problem that the post talks about - the current problem is in the videos, there’s three of them, one clearly shows the boat, possibly the DM (guy is carrying a same looking poker), harassing a toadfish and also a scorpion fish. These videos are from within the last few weeks, I forget the date.

From what I understand, the marine park is aware and dealing with it.

The guy holding the toadfish is an old picture - that is from last year or the year before and he was an illegal French DM that came over with a dive shop from Playa.

The marine park is doing nothing - I personally sent them the picture of this DM last year when it happened.

Again,. I've state it numerous times in various threads - the marine park DOES NOT HAVE ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITY - ONLY PROFEPA does. The only "enforcement" the MP has is to revoke or deny permits and to suspend DM's that are actually licensed through the MP - if they are illegals or rogue DM's, the MP has NO AUTHORITY and there is NOTHING they can do. they only have authority over people and boats that are permitted and licensed.

Which DM is that? I've dived with them many times and have never seen that kind of behavior.

The DM pictured is Tony. I have dove with Tony and he would never tolerate this type of behaviour.

The "guide" with the toadfish is DEFINITELY not Tony.

I have almost 200 dives at Scuba Club, with many different Divemasters, and have NEVER witnessed this type of behaviour. All the Divemasters at Scuba Club have a great respect for the reefs and the life that live on them.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

I think the Moderators should delete this whole post as it is based on inaccurate information and just the title is inflamatory towards a respected business, ScubaClub, that has done nothing wrong. Remember when you post on the internet, it is around forever.... and now any new diver looking to go to SCC does a google search and this crap comes up.

I think the Moderators should delete this whole post as it is based on inaccurate information and just the title is inflamatory towards a respected business, ScubaClub, that has done nothing wrong. Remember when you post on the internet, it is around forever.... and now any new diver looking to go to SCC does a google search and this crap comes up.

Well said Robin !!

Divegoose

Just weird that video shows their boat, that DM and someone underwater with the same octo, spg and poker stick as the DM pictured.......

People make mistakes, you learn from them and move on

The picture of the DM holding the Splendid Toadfish was all over Facebook and Scubaboard last year. We tracked him down and found that he was an undocumented French Canadian guy working through a shop in Playa del Carmen who had come over for the day.

To translate the article in the original post:
It starts off by discussing this incident of the DM holding the toadfish LAST YEAR and says that the French DM had his privileges revoked and was fired from the shop. It then goes on to say that a repeat incident occurred aboard the Reef Cat referring to the poker stick and coaxing the toadfish out although there is no picture of the DM underwater engaging in this behavior - only on the boat so there is no proof as to who it was.

The picture of the DM holding the Splendid Toadfish was all over Facebook and Scubaboard last year. We tracked him down and found that he was an undocumented French Canadian guy working through a shop in Playa del Carmen who had come over for the day.

To translate the article in the original post:
It starts off by discussing this incident of the DM holding the toadfish LAST YEAR and says that the French DM had his privileges revoked and was fired from the shop. It then goes on to say that a repeat incident occurred aboard the Reef Cat referring to the poker stick and coaxing the toadfish out although there is no picture of the DM underwater engaging in this behavior - only on the boat so there is no proof as to who it was.

There’s a video of it, later in the video it’s a scorpion fish

This video, there are two others showing the boat and DM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom