Belgian diver drowned in a North German lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HDP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/belgische-duiker-39-verdronken-in-noord-duits-meer~a8d42b64/

Translation below:

A Belgian diver died in a lake in the northern German town of Hemmoor (Lower Saxony). This is a 39-year-old man, reports the public broadcaster NDR based on the local police.
The thirty-year-old diver was diving with two other men in the Kreidesee. The man ran into trouble at a depth between seven and ten meters. He gestured to his fellow divers, after which one of them brought him to the surface as quickly as possible. An emergency doctor arrived, but the help was too late for the Belgian.

According to police reports it is currently presumed that a wrong gas-mixed was the cause.

According to police reports it is currently presumed that a wrong gas-mixed was the cause.
Would the wrong mixed gas be 100% O2 and he drowned after convulsing ? (Speculating here)

I am asking because I am wondering what would be a wrong mixed gas that would be fatal between 7 and 10m

Would the wrong mixed gas be 100% O2 and he drowned after convulsing ? (Speculating here)

If he was doing a deep tech dive, or he was a tech diver and got a mismarked tank, it could be a mix with very little O2 in it.

Bob

The lake has a max depth of less than 200'.
Standard gasses for that depth are 18/45, 50% and O2.

Either he breathed from the wrong tank or didn't analyse after filling (wrong mix).

Michael

Currently there are only speculations as far is I read it on German platforms / reports.
Most seem to think that it must have been O2. As Michael stated the lake is shallow for hypoxic mixes.
From what I read he signaled distress at 7-10m if they had already been deeper before that is not clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom