International Divers Day - WHEN??? !!! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The very first international spear fishing meet was held in 1951 at Laguna Beach California amd won by the Compton Dolphins spearfishing team of Pat O Malley, Paul Hoss (spear gun fame) and Ken Kummberfeld ( who at one time lived close )
Thank you, Samuel!
Do you have information about countries, participated this competition?

1950. With the cooperation and invaluable assistance of Bill Schroeder of the Helms Athletic Foundation and Fred Beitz of the A.A.U.( Amateur Athletic Union), established the 1st U.S. National Underwater Spearfishing Championships (Oct. 15, 1950).
It was non International, as I understood.

Already in 1958, the first USSR championship was held. These competitions were an attempt to bring something new to underwater sports, which had previously been limited to spearfishing. They were carried out according to the program of underwater all-around, including swimming in fins, diving in length in fins and mask and three exercises in underwater orientation.
- same is written here about USSR domestic championship

АлександрД : so cute to mention your nickname in cyrillic here :). I think few guys here can do that and really understand what these funny characters mean :).
See my sign under all of my messages - "Call me Alex"

We have a new cause to root for!
So....
Is it following from this discussion, that only in Russia we celebrate Divers Day at the government level on May 5???
And also we brings congratulations to each other at the folk level with International Day of Underwater Era beginning on Oct 12?

And nobody else celebrate it in the world???

May be we should start to provide more widely information about this date(s) to all other divers?
And have another good reason for meeting and celebration real date of World historic Divers day?

@АлександрД

I have been involved in American diving on a local, state, national, and occasion international level for many years

The closest we in the US ever had a National Diving day was when JY Cousteau created his
Earth Day The first and only one I attended was presented at the huge Santa Barbara fair ( show ) grounds. I consisted of a series of presentations by JY Cousteau to promote awareness of the disappearance or shrinking of the earth resources and not necessarily the oceans resources as well as increasing the popularity of the God of Underwater.

As I recall there were a number of Earth Days scheduled in various US population centers. I do not know where or if they were a success ..Perhaps @dead dog can research Earth Day via internet and post his finding -- (if it not on the internet it didn't happen)

Sam Miller,111

@АлександрД

I have been involved in American diving on a local, state, national, and occasion international level for many years

The closest we in the US ever had a National Diving day was when JY Cousteau created his
Earth Day The first and only one I attended was presented at the huge Santa Barbara fair ( show ) grounds. I consisted of a series of presentations by JY Cousteau to promote awareness of the disappearance or shrinking of the earth resources and not necessarily the oceans resources as well as increasing the popularity of the God of Underwater.

As I recall there were a number of Earth Days scheduled in various US population centers. I do not know where or if they were a success ..Perhaps @dead dog can research Earth Day via internet and post his finding -- (if it not on the internet it didn't happen)

Sam Miller,111

Earth Day

10 Fascinating Facts About Earth Day

It was non International, as I understood.

I never said it was "International", I said:

"Timeline for U.S. National Underwater Spearfishing Championships."

I just would like to see diving history reported correctly.

So. As nobody was unable to define date of International Divers Day - please, receive all my congratulations TODAY! :) To all Commercial Divers! (and Just Divers too :) )

x_c2daffc8.jpg
ab6a8fcecb6f4a193186080e59d9e626.jpg

I have to admit I had never heard of International Diving Day but I have heard of International Surfing Day but it's interesting to know such thing has been pushed for and maybe it's time to bring it back again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom