Have ScubaBoard's SurfGF threads changed how you plan to dive?

Will I change my diving after reading these two threads?

• I'm really going to consider (or already do) longer SS's and slow final ascents!

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • I'm happy with my dive safety without long SS's/slow final ascents; I don't plan to change a thing.

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • I really don't understand what is being discussed in those threads.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • I have, or plan to consider a dive computer with SurfGF functionality that I can monitor at dive end

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not ageless any more, dive very high O2 percentages, dive 80 feet average, dive big tanks
know my sites don't have to look at my spg much and look at my computer just for time, less

Some of the long discussions about GF’s, M values, MOD’s and all the other code discussions make my eyes glaze over, then I get pissed that I wasted so much time reading it and could have been doing something more productive.

Killing time is the point, for some of us it is these threads or stare at debug messages scrolling up too fast to read for 5 minutes until that Piece Of Software crashes. At which point you change one line and run the whole thing again. And again.

Ya need a fifth option - Did not read the threads.
I did not read the threads. :)
but my answer is
"I'm really going to consider (or already do) longer SS's and slow final ascents!"

I have two very simple reasons:
- It is more safe to do it, than not to do :) And does not matter, what is the GF, bubbles, moon phases etc.
- It is very good training way to have best bouyancy keeping.

Try to stay for long time at 30', and try to do the same at 3' :) and compare
It is much more difficult to do it at 3'. And if you can keep 3' for 1 minute at least - you easy can do the same at deeper depth :)

and why in an ever changing ocean you must over weigh yourself by the standards of "THEM"
in anticipation of changing conditions

Slowing my ascent rate in general, and doing 5 minute SS occasionally has been a pretty long gradual change for me. When I got my first computer from which I could download dives and look at profiles (~2008?)I started seeing a lot of high ascent rates that were definitely not what I had thought I was doing. A graph and discussion in Deco for Divers led me to a "why not do a 5 minute SS" if I have the time and gas. The first time I saw a tissue heatmap was posted by UWSojourner in some of the really long contentious threads about the NEDU study and deep stops. Subsurface profiles and heatmaps certainly got me to see how much was happening in that last ascent from the SS. And threads here have me thinking about changing my Perdix and Teric settings. So "all of the above" for changing my behavior over time.

I was already doing long final stops and slow final ascents before these threads.

I could have chosen option 1, but that seems to defeat the purpose of the poll - which seems to be to identify if people have changed what they're doing because of (or after) these recent threads.

What has changed my diving the most is training with an instructor and talking to 2 other instructors (all tech and CCR instructors) during the same trip who all dive with high GF settings (for GF Hi and Lo) and all of whom get to their final stop and then hang there until their actual SurfGF is much lower than their GF Hi setting.

That and getting/having a computer that shows SurfGF.

I have always been aware that I should do nice, long final stops if I can. But, it's a lot easier (for me) to be patient and keep hanging there at 10-20 feet when I can see a number and that number is gradually dropping. Before it was "hmmm... it's been 5 minutes. I guess that seems long enough."

I'm in the same boat as stuartv, I haven't changed my diving since reading the threads. I feel like option #1 should be split into two choices.

I learned to dive locally, in cold water, and slow final ascents were emphasized even in my open water course. I decided pretty early on to extend my safety stops, especially when it's cold and I don't want to. Decreased circulation and all that.
I have started checking my SurfGF when arriving at and leaving my safety stops, and it's interesting to see how much it changes.

I guess I have to go along with those that have changed, not because of those two threads, but the numerous threads that discussed decompression theory prior, and the fact that I started using a dive computer.

I was forced to change my ascent rate and use of the safety stop when I started using a dive computer. I subscribe to the theory that one should follow the parameters of the decompression algorithm one is using. The safety stop took longer to learn as the computer did not peanalise if it was skipped.

Because of the large change between the old Navy tables and my computer, I started reading threads on Scubaboard about deco theory, not to say I understood all of what I was reading. It made me more at peace with the ascent rate and safety stop, and assisted in making me more conservative in my diving as I have become other pursuits due to my advancing age.

Although it was threads other than the ones you mentioned, to take an appropriate bit from The Wizard of Oz, "But it wasn't a dream. And you and you and you...and you were there."

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom