Bed adhesion... what's your solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using a glass plate with glue stick for PLA, ABS, and TPU with great success. I had been using blue tape, but bed temps for ABS weakened the tape's hold to the print bed enough that ABS would warp and pull the tape off the bed. For ABS an enclosure is your friend... If you have a remote camera on your printer you could even get away with a cardboard box turned over it.

I have an ender 3. I used to use paper as a feeler gauge to level but that never seemed to work perfect. Then I found this; 3D Geeks : Thingiverse Browser!. Watch the video. Hands down the best way I've found. I rub it as it goes to see how it feels / is sticking.

I use nothing on the bed for PLA, but it has to be level with the right amount of squish. If the hot end is to close then it's a pain to scrape it off. You want it to not rub off with your fingers but not be ground down into the bed either.

PETG and ABS I use glue stick. I don't like hairspray because of the overspray. Have not tried painters tape. With little ones running about I'll never run out of glue.

What I like about that file is after using it a few times I really got a feel for what I was looking for. Very rarely do I use it anymore, but it helped a lot.

Edit: I also wipe down the bed really well with acetone every 2-4 prints.

I changed my gap to 0.004", added a brim and that seems to work perfectly. Way cool.

Glass and the purple elmers glue sticks. That or PEI sheets.

And I stopped using ABS many years ago. Its trash. Very hard to print with and the only advantage over PET if you can chemically weld it. Not a small advantage I know, but not worth the fumes and failed prints. Now its PLA, PET or if I need stronger I go to 6061.

PEI sheets are the way to go. Works wonderfully for ABS, PLA, PETG, and even some flex filaments. I was very happy with glass and hairspray for printing ABS, but PEI means no dealing with nasty overspray on my lead screws.

I give a shot of hairspray from time to time, but the glass has a very slight tacky finish to it that you can't see. It works perfectly now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom