New or service my Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addition is hard to kick!

So is subtraction.

But seriously guys and gals....that means you @halocline Consider sending your extra equipment to Diveheart. Here is a snippet from a recent exchange I had with Jim Elliott (DiveHeart ) founder and President of that organization:

.....We'd love your donation. you can send any gear, any condition to Diveheart 900 Ogden Ave #274 Downers Grove, Illinois 60515. Thanks also for sharing the Diveheart story with others You are being redirected...

One thing that should always be considered, is the dive industry's tendency, much like that of, say, skiing, to "reinvent the wheel" on a regular basis, in order to repackage 1950-60s technology. If your regulator is functional, and you like it, just have it maintained. Rinsing it while still pressurized, will save you a ton of cash, since the most avoidable damage that I have seen, has come from salt water intrusion. None of those dust caps or even the screw-on DIN connectors should be thought of as watertight.

The lion's share of technology hasn't changed in decades; and most of my recent experiences in dive shops, has been a "what's it going to take you to put you in a new car?" experience, when I mentioned that I had some regulators that I had used and serviced, since the 1970s. I still have a fully- functional Cyklon 300 on a bail-out bottle. Breathes like a dream.

One salesperson, from a while back, tried to sell me on a first stage, made of some ceramic material, "the same technology used on the space shuttle program," he said, as I was weighing the admittedly light first stage in my hand, well north of 1500 dollars.

When I asked, what was wrong with brass, the response was, in his best SoCal pothead vernacular, "it's soooo hopelessly antiquated . . ."

The old equipment (for the most part) works just as well, if not better than the new stuff. And it certainly takes more abuse than the modern plastic stuff. :facepalm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom