Such a thing as too much air or no need for redundancy? (long and rambly)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not put the LP85’s back together as doubles, and use them for both dives with your wife? She can switch out her tank after the first dive, and you just do a second dive with the same set of doubles. Then you have redundancy in case of any equipment issues; just isolate the bad reg?

I had considered that also but was a little leery of having to move that much weight for every dive. Technically that would be the ideal option since I am ready to buy my back plate and wing now and I could just as easily get a double wing for about 100 more and I own everything else.

Anyone wanna comment on how fast shlepping around twin 85s for even basic dives lasts before it get old?

What are your diving goals? If you have any intent to go tech in the future, having experience in doubles will be valuable.

Some things to think about from someone that had a set of double 63s.

Double 50s would be too short. I was always hunching over to get in the harness and trim was an issue too. 50s are even shorter.

And, even though they only hold ~100cf of gas, you will get billed for doubles on fills, VIPs, hydros, etc.

Might as well just go ahead and double up some 80s and you can do real dives with them.

but was a little leery of having to move that much weight for every dive.

Anyone wanna comment on how fast shlepping around twin 85s for even basic dives lasts before it get old?

If your diving goals require doubles, you deal with the weight. Period. My entire HP80 doubles rig (including the extra weight I need since I’m floaty) is about 100lbs. I have two iffy knees and sciatica in one hip. I’m putting in the extra time at the gym to build the strength to get those puppies up the boat ladder by the time I’m tech certified next summer. If I can do it, a guy can, unless you have some physical disability, but you didn’t mention that.

You always move them on your back. It’s the safest way. Sit down in the back of my Escape to get them on/off.

I don’t know what your dive sites are like, but getting two recreational dives out of one set of doubles means you don’t have to switch out tanks, like you do for singles. Show up to dive site with doubles all set up with wing, BP, regs. Get suited up and off you go. Damned sight more convenient.

Need to check the local charter boat regs. I know of some that do not allow two sets of doubles because if several people use them they take up too much room on the boat. Basically you are allowed two main tanks and one pony.

Need to check the local charter boat regs. I know of some that do not allow two sets of doubles because if several people use them they take up too much room on the boat. Basically you are allowed two main tanks and one pony.

Why would one person take two sets of doubles if they’re doing recreational profiles?

I can lift it ok and I think the advantages of not having to switch tanks do offset handling the extra weight. Plus no need for pony then.
I already have a Hollis aluminum backplate that I found used for $20 so if I did this I would order the dgx doubles backplate and wing kit with a steel plate so I would have both to use.

A dry suit or serious technical diving are unfortunately not in my immediate future due to the rest of my life not fitting that at the moment though I could see it in the 10 year forecast.
There are an awful lot of Great Lakes wrecks that the dive boats go to sitting in the neighborhood of 100 feet though so the doubles would be welcome if only as backup.

I do wonder about being able to swim up this rig doubled and the need for redundant buoyancy without a dry suit.

I do worry that the setup would be far more of a bother than I would like on a recreational level charter dive boat over my original missed plan for a pair of single 112s

I’ve always read here that double AL80s are OK for a 7mm wetsuit. Steels belong with drysuits. You’d need a lift bag for redundant buoyancy with steels diving wet. Or a wing with double bladder, but that opens a whole different can of worms. Go look for the threads here. Have been a number recently.

Back
Top Bottom