Aqualung i200 Safety Stop On or Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
My Aqualung i200 stopped giving me a safety stop. I used my buddy to time it. I checked the settings and it showed that Safety Stop (SS) was On. Tested it next dive - still no safety stop. In a perverted attempt to test it, I set it show that it showed Safety Stop Off. And of course it gave me a safety stop.
It's back-to front logic - it shows what it isn't. So I checked out as many of the other On/Off settings as I could (which was actually not many given the need for safety) and they seemed to be On when it showed On and Off when showing Off.
Have I got a rogue setting? Has anyone else encountered this? Is this "Showing what it isn't" typical of other computers?
As for turning Safety Stop Off - for a recreational diver that seems downright blinding stupid with bells on. And how did the setting get changed from giving me a safety stop? I think I was double checking the settings at some time in the past and obviously would have changed to Safety Stop On.

Sounds like the screen is giving you the selection you can activate, not the state it is in. Weird but not outside my experience with electronics. One of the reasons I read the manuals on equipment is that sometimes operation is not intuitive.

What does the manual say?

Bob

Thanks Bob for the comment. I did read the manual, and then read it again and it gives no clues as to whether what you see is the state it is in. As you say - experience with electronics - it's what led me to try the opposite. But this is inconsistent with other settings which are what they say they are.

I just wonder if my computer is "odd" or the norm, and if anyone has binned theirs in disgust at the failure to give safety stop.

And is this a stupid question - why would anyone want a dive computer without a safety stop facility? Have I missed some new PADI speciality "Safety-Stopless Diving"?
Hope some others can shed some light.

Hi @pelan-pelan

Your i200 safety stop works exactly like my Oceanic Geo2, essentially same computer manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems, now owned by Aqua Lung. See page 34 of your manual. OFF is off, On is on. when ON, you choose 3 or 5 minutes and 3, 4, 5, or 6 meters (or 10, 15, or 20 ft). I wiould be surprised if you could set the time and depth if it is set to OFF, unless, of course, it is as wonky as you believe.

Scubadada - thanks. Good point. Useful Test suggestion. I will check again - yes I did read the manual - when it says OFF it is definitely ON. But I will check what it appears to say with whether I can set the timing of the stop. Everything else that I set up, eg Dual Time, Default time, etc etc has worked fine.

I have i300c and just checked the safety stop feature. When the ON is flashing right below it displays 15:3. If I press the button on the right the “15” will flash giving me the opportunity to change the depth setting. If I press the right button again this allows me to change the amount of minutes I want to stop. However when the “ON” is flashing and I press the button on the left it switches to “OFF”, the 15:3 disappears and the safety stop is now turned off.

Hope this helps...

Tanks DiveMalby. Clearly the i300 is different from the i200. I checked and re-checked - as said above, and showed to other people. My i200 most definitely shows the word ON when the Safety Stop is Off.

I was so fed up I went back to my archaic Suunto. I was going to give my i200 away - but I am so unsure by the way it works or should I say Doesn't work (Is working On ON? or OFF?) that I felt I couldn't give it to anyone. Talk about disposing of electronic equipment safely, I think the only safe way to dispose of it is with a 6 lb lump hammer.

Tanks DiveMalby. Clearly the i300 is different from the i200. I checked and re-checked - as said above, and showed to other people. My i200 most definitely shows the word ON when the Safety Stop is Off.

I was so fed up I went back to my archaic Suunto. I was going to give my i200 away - but I am so unsure by the way it works or should I say Doesn't work (Is working On ON? or OFF?) that I felt I couldn't give it to anyone. Talk about disposing of electronic equipment safely, I think the only safe way to dispose of it is with a 6 lb lump hammer.

I'd be happy to take it off your hands even with payment. Let me know

I had thought about what to do and have donated it to our dive shop. They can use it in their classes in the swimming pool where it is unlikely to do anyone harm. Thanks for the interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom