Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did couple of dives this week-end with my new Eddy finds and I am very very happy. I couldn't use My SP Jetfins because the foot pocket isn't wide enough for my drysuit boots so I bought pair and I love them. These are the first fins that I can take off easily after a dive instead of having a hard time taking the fins off.

The gear doesn't make the diver, but these fins sure help to make it easier for me.

I'd like to buy a used pair of eddys in L, black, if anyone wants to sell. I think I've narrowed my fin search to these and OMS slipstream, XL.

I'd like to buy a used pair of eddys in L, black, if anyone wants to sell. I think I've narrowed my fin search to these and OMS slipstream, XL.
I have a pair of XL Slipstreams with spring straps which I'm no longer using if it comes to that.

For those who have both the XL slipstreams and L eddy's - is the eddy is longer/shorter/same as the slipstream?

Mine are for sure shorter

full.jpg

great for dropping down smokestacks
without the clothespeg and the playing card on the pushbike wheel effect

Did you cut the serrations in there yourself? They look like great Halloween fins. :)

Fin fit is critical to good propulsion. Too loose and they’re floppy, too tight and they’re uncomfortable.

I have to try them on in person with the boots I’ll be wearing. Last time I needed new boots, I went to almost a dozen shops to find boots that fit my foot AND the fin.

People in the dive shop thought I was crazy when I would go out to my truck to get my fins before buying boots. Couldn’t understand why fit was that important. They’re just boots... right?

I’m going to be wearing a boot/fin combo for probably 5 years or more, so they better fit well.

I’m a huge on-line/Amazon buyer, but I would never buy fins or boots on-line.

Fin fit is critical to good propulsion. Too loose and they’re floppy, too tight and they’re uncomfortable.

I have to try them on in person with the boots I’ll be wearing. Last time I needed new boots, I went to almost a dozen shops to find boots that fit my foot AND the fin.

People in the dive shop thought I was crazy when I would go out to my truck to get my fins before buying boots. Couldn’t understand why fit was that important. They’re just boots... right?

I’m going to be wearing a boot/fin combo for probably 5 years or more, so they better fit well.

Me either that's the way for buying

I feel the same way but unfortunately, not all of us live near a coast with lots of dive shops to choose gear from. Living in the Midwest as far from any ocean as one can get, I have little choice but to buy online and if they don't fit, send them back. It sucks but such is life for a Midwest diver!

Several months ago I tried a friend’s pair of large Eddy Fins and was pleased with all aspects of them except for the fact that they were orange. I was hoping to replace my old Jet Fins which have been held together with sail makers twine and epoxy for several years now, and thought that the Eddy’s were just about ideal. I particularly liked the pull tabs on the spring straps, which made fin removal in the water a snap. When I got home I visited the Deep 6 website intending to order a pair in black and found that they were out of stock. I kept visiting the site for a few weeks in the hope that they would have the fins in black, but my hopes were consistently dashed.

A brief note to my local Deep 6 representative inquiring as to when he might expect to receive a shipment of the black fins was quickly replied to most courteously, but he was unsure about when they would have more in stock. That was a couple of months ago, and since then I’ve been re-visiting the website hoping to see new stock.

Last week my Jets finally gave up the ghost and were relegated to the great dive locker in the sky. A quick visit to the Deep 6 site still failed to show the Eddy Fins that I wanted in stock, so I picked up a pair of OMS Slipstreams at one of my local shops. I like them just fine, but would have preferred to have a pair of Eddy’s with their slick pull tabs and adjustable spring straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom