Great White spotted at Crystal Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a couple in March. Water was freaking cold! 18-19c. Brrr but worth it

That's too bad. Sorry to hear that.

August is supposed to be the peak of Mola Mola season over there. I was in Crystal Bay in mid August 2014, during a full moon and saw 9 of them. My avatar was taken during that time at 143' (43m).

I'll be back there again in August 2021.

Although not most awesome dive that day, it was still a great experience. Dived with people from all around the world that day... American, French, Slovenian, Chinese, Jawa...good when people come together like that, sharing stories and first hand experiences

Water was unusually warm this year in July and early August, still 26°C-27°C at toyapakeh & crystal at that time

That's too bad. Sorry to hear that.

August is supposed to be the peak of Mola Mola season over there. I was in Crystal Bay in mid August 2014, during a full moon and saw 9 of them. My avatar was taken during that time at 143' (43m).

I'll be back there again in August 2021.

9 Mola Mola! I'm yet to see that many on a single dive

I've heard 11 and 17 Mola Mola at Blue Corner

When I dive, I keep my expectations on level. I know by experience you can dive 20 times and not see any Mola Mola, but another dive group that leaves 5 minutes before or after your group may see them everytime. I even seen one at 10m, 27°C water at SD once

We know now that Mola Mola and hiu putih share same hangout place, so I guess it's not impossible to expect to see them hanging together on the same dive? Or is that dreaming?

If anyone from scubaboard dived at Crystal Bay when the GWS was there...would love to hear first hand dive report

Watching the video, I couldn't tell much. Looked like divers were scrambling? I could hear fast breathing in the background, maybe there was some decent current around?

If anyone from scubaboard dived at Crystal Bay when the GWS was there...would love to hear first hand dive report

Watching the video, I couldn't tell much. Looked like divers were scrambling? I could hear fast breathing in the background, maybe there was some decent current around?

If theres a great white cruising along the reef, most divers would be breathing very fast current or no current! lol! ;P

elasmollet.org/PublicationsOthers/Fahmi and Dharmadi.pdf

Sorry guys, I don't want to harp on too long about this subject. Above link is about the first scientific recording of GWS in Indonesia. It was caught about 200kms south-west of Komodo Island

It was a male specimen approximately 6.6m in length. I done a quick few searches off the internet on GWS. I think that this could be the largest ever male GWS ever recorded, & possibly one of the largest ever GWS caught. The length was recorded by fisheries enumerators. And someone from CSIRO reviewed the report also

It'd be great if Indonesian fisheries and Australian shark experts collaborated to tag the Crystal Bay GWS whilst it may still be around. Not sure how they'd do it though

Will be in Bali tomorrow. Hopefully dive within a day or two. Lets hope for a good photo op. Nusa.JPG

Back
Top Bottom