Carry stage like side mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are these bottom stages or deco bottles
How are you verifying them? I guess rotating them into the lower front left but damn that's a ton of extra work rotating compared to a leash
Left lean, right rich?

that's never killed any one

*rolls eyes*
Was it the location of the cylinders or complacency?

Was it the location of the cylinders or complacency?
improper marking (using specific regs or body position instead of proper verification protocols) has killed plenty.

sidemounting stages means you have to drop them to check them - and buddy verify.

plus the right stages are in the way of scooter driving and deploying the long hose and all for what? 4 stages all up front is like swimming a wall

I dive OC and CCR and have been tempted to SM bailout in CCR, but it's more faff swapping rigging around, moving bands and clips to match configuration , and I like to check the mix, SPG, see if they are bubbling or drop a stage in OHE and all of that seems way more hassle in SM.

Thanks for all the replies already, some good stuff to think about. So far it seems to be a good workable solution if you are carrying 1 stage, but maybe it adds some complications with multiple stages.

Will give it a try, but for now I think I can carry a second left stage without any issue, just clip it off at the shoulder. Any stages beyond that can still go on a leash, but I can see how that could complicate rotation.

I guess I should figure out if the streamlining outweighs standardisation. Most of my dives at the moment are single stage anyway, but always good to avoid creating bad habits :)

For CCR, sidemounting bailout bottom gas is nice in caves, where you are going to drop the deco bailout anyway.

identifying the regs/bottles is easy, especially if you necklace the regs.

for deco gasses, standard rigging is easiest. Leash them and drop where nessecary.

That being said I’m not dragging 8 bottles into a cave like some other folks do. I have no interest in doing that amount of deco.

Bungeeing stage cylinders on Backmount / CCR

Related thread above.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes in reality, I dived a mine on Saturday with a buddy, he was in twins plus an ali 80, I was CCR BM with 3x7l stages (DIR style), 2 left 1 right, our swim speeds were very similar and neither had to work harder than other to keep up despite switching leads.

It is a good read full of adaptable people

I guess I should figure out if the streamlining outweighs standardisation. Most of my dives at the moment are single stage anyway, but always good to avoid creating bad habits :)

as one is able to use one method in one circumstance and another method in another circumstance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom