Such a thing as too much air or no need for redundancy? (long and rambly)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a pair of OMS(Faber) lp85's that I picked up dirt cheap ($250 as I recall) in really good shape as a doubles set with the bands and thermo manifold. He gave me the original single tank valves and I split the set to use as my regular tanks for the typical two tank day which works well for me. I kept all the doubles parts though.
My main dive buddy is my wife who would prefer to be a tropical shallow diver if given the choice and uses a pair of single al80's so we are pretty matched for air. We do get to 50ish feet already and potentially 100 foot dives are possible if she gets more comfortable.

With her being somewhat timid a single regulator single 85 tank is all I have ever really needed.
But I love to acquire and fiddle with gear and I picked up an al19 and stuck a Mares MR12 on it that I rebuilt myself to use as a pony bottle just because it makes me feel safe and more comfortable (never have gear issues). It has been back mounted and slung and I am still fiddling with different setups.

I always want to try new things but I had to rule out the twin 50 mini doubles setup I have always wanted to try as economically impossible since I would need two sets of twins for a dive day which is like $1400 new and impossible to find used. I do already have 3 identical older style aqualung titan din supreme (dry kit) with late style conshelf 14 seconds to use if I did though (I custom put them all together myself).

I just found a pair of OMS LP112 (basically the identical big brother of mine) single tanks for sale used that are current on inspection and cleaned for nitrox. The asking price was $400 for the pair but considering the season and the fact that they have been for sale for a good while I would try to haggle.
Now I am asking myself if more air at the cost of a bigger tank is a bad thing since its identical to my 85's length and just a slightly larger diameter tank (7" vs 8") and 10lbs heavier on land and a pound or two more in the water.

Technically I have all the air I need for my current diving with an 85 but eventually I might dive with other people on deeper and more challenging dives if my wife doesn't want to since i can drive to both lake Superior and Michigan for a weekend dive.
That would mean I should buy now as these things don't come up as often as you would think because people seem to either sit on their extra tanks or sell them to someone they know before they even get listed so I don't see big lp steels come up much at all. (almost all old al80's for sale actually)

I would probably sell off the 85's and related parts if I did that to help offset the cost and dive the 112's single with the pony rather than ever going to doubles though its a possibility I would keep the 85's and put them back as doubles to play with (need a new wing for that).
I'm also in the process of switching to a back plate and wing with likely an OMS performance mono 32lb though its not ordered yet (waiting to see about black friday) if that's relevant.

So back to the title question, is it silly to like the extra air and the often unnecessary redundancy of the pony bottle?

I don't see any issue going to LP112 from LP85. More gas, but not excessive more gas IMO. The only draw back here is LP112 is a more clunky tank, larger, heavier, so harder to maneuver on land and in water. But again, it is out of our ordinary. Just LP85 is very nice, small and light.

As for redundancy, if you dive with your wife, and you guys are well commit to be the redundancy of each other, I don't see the need for AL19. But if you dive solo, it is better to have redundancy

I don't actually dive solo (though that title seems to be stuck there) and my wife does work out as a dive buddy, but when I started rebuilding all my own stuff I wanted an additional layer of backup in case I didn't know what I was doing. It actually turns out its stupid simple to rebuild scuba gear with the proper tools, parts and documents thankfully. I decided I liked having it around however.

If I had an issue myself I would use the pony to solve it rather than relying on her and not being physically attached to someone is a huge bonus to me (I have seen real buddy breathing comical/dangerous mishaps). Now that it is slung instead of back mount I could potentially hand it off to her if an issue came up as well.

I don't actually dive solo (though that title seems to be stuck there)
I fixed that for you. btw, The title of barracuda is just a site added thing based on your number of posts.

can't have too many tanks cant have too much air and with 50% in your pony cant have too much deco

So back to the title question, is it silly to like the extra air and the often unnecessary redundancy of the pony bottle?

Buy em.... if your that close to the Great Lakes, you will appreciate the extra air at some point. I got bit by the Great Lakes wreck bug and can't wait to go back. Several of the wrecks on my list are at 100 feet plus so having an extra cushion of air will allow you to extend your bottom time to the deco limit, your cold tolerance, or if you're really good on air...just stay down for days on shallower dives. There are lots of limiting factors for diving, air shouldn't be one of them. (I'm something of a Hoover)

Air is good, More air is more gooder.

Safe travels, pet a wreck for me!!

Jay

Cool, thanks for the advice, and the title change.
Edit: drat, they sold awhile ago but he left the ad up.

Buy em.... if your that close to the Great Lakes, you will appreciate the extra air at some point. I got bit by the Great Lakes wreck bug and can't wait to go back. Several of the wrecks on my list are at 100 feet plus so having an extra cushion of air will allow you to extend your bottom time to the deco limit, your cold tolerance, or if you're really good on air...just stay down for days on shallower dives. There are lots of limiting factors for diving, air shouldn't be one of them. (I'm something of a Hoover)

Air is good, More air is more gooder.

Safe travels, pet a wreck for me!!

Jay

Pet a wreck? I have been known to caress the dead eyes on my favorite local wreck. :D

The wreck bug is a dangerous, dangerous thing. :D

Well so now I find myself reconsidering that whole twin 50 thing.
I know it’s been discussed as not worth it for some but the people who try it seem to love the smaller size and weight than something like my 85s. It seems like cost is the only negative and I already have the extra regulators and potentially one set of the valves and manifold though it seems a better deal to buy two complete sets.

I dive HP80 doubles. Next thing up from LP50 “baby” doubles. I call them my “dwarf” doubles because they’re short and fat and named after dwarves from The Hobbit. :D

They work better if you’re short. I’m 5’5”. Can make you a bit head heavy, but weight distribution and heavier fins can help with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom