Great White spotted at Crystal Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That shot looks like the one I first saw on Facebook. The rest of the Hotspot Indonesia package looks like stock imagery to me...

You may be right. The Thai diver witness mentioned seeing it at 23m depth. The Hotspot Indonesia front cover picture looks like taken from a couple meters below the surface.

The article says that the GWS was spotted on 20 Sep. in Crystal Bay. At that same day, we dove in Manta Point and planning to make 2nd dive in Crystal Bay. My DM decided to dive in Blue Corner instead as Mola Mola has not been spotted in Crystal Bay in the last day or two and they have seen Mola Mola in Blue Corner the day before. We ended seeing 4 Mola Mola and a Thresher shark in Blue Corner.

Good call by your DM. I wonder if Mola Mola & GWS would be sharing the same swimming vicinity harmoniously, or if they were scared off by the presence of a 4-5m GWS

I've seen some of your UW pics from Bali, very impressive. Your dive guide seems very good. Is he based from a dive shop, or does he run his own dive operation?

Good call by your DM. I wonder if Mola Mola & GWS would be sharing the same swimming vicinity harmoniously, or if they were scared off by the presence of a 4-5m GWS

I've seen some of your UW pics from Bali, very impressive. Your dive guide seems very good. Is he based from a dive shop, or does he run his own dive operation?

Thanks. I just use a GoPro Black 6.

My dive guide, Ketut Gede Somadyana or "Today" for short, has been guiding me in Bali for over 10 years. This is his dive shop: aqua cat bali, the best travel to scuba diving / dive / diving in Bali, Indonesia

On the dive at Blue Corner that day, he instructed me to follow him along the wall edge on the left shoulder, at about 60' deep to conserve air & bottom time, while he was cruising at 100' depth in search of Mola Mola. Visibility was excellent at the time, I could see him in the blue, 40' below me. As soon as he saw the Mola Mola, he gave me a signal to get down to his depth. We were ended up at about 137' (42m) by the time the 4 Mola Mola were being cleaned by banner fish. When we were done taking pictures & videos of the Mola Mola and ascent back to the boat, I still had 1000 psig. :D

How about this one? It looks like a fat or pregnant one of GWS to me.

View attachment 545020

Yes, but is it taken from one of the divers' camera or National Geographic as said in the video you posted?

That's what I'm wondering.

My dive guide, Ketut Gede Somadyana or "Today" for short, has been guiding me in Bali for over 10 years. This is his dive shop: aqua cat bali, the best travel to scuba diving / dive / diving in Bali, Indonesia

On the dive at Blue Corner that day, he instructed me to follow him along the wall edge on the left shoulder, at about 60' deep to conserve air & bottom time, while he was cruising at 100' depth in search of Mola Mola. Visibility was excellent at the time, I could see him in the blue, 40' below me. As soon as he saw the Mola Mola, he gave me a signal to get down to his depth. We were ended up at about 137' (42m) by the time the 4 Mola Mola were being cleaned by banner fish. When we were done taking pictures & videos of the Mola Mola and ascent back to the boat, I still had 1000 psig. :D

Where do you stay? Most of the divers that I know stay in Padang Bai or Tulamben areas. Your guy is way over on the other side of Denpasar near Tanah Lot.

Re Mola Mola - we recently had one cruising around Rottnest island where a diver was "taken" by a GW so I'm assuming due to the known waters M2 can show up they're not that worried about GWS. Also we have two morphs of GWS...white ones and black ones. Not enough research yet on if they are seperate subspecies or age morphology to say conclusively why the black ones are well..black. I'm not questioning at all that it is a GW I simply read the article and noticed the "May be another Lamnid" quote.

Dave mentions the black GWS here

‘That’s an 8.5m patrol boat’

Cheers man :thumb:

Great when everything falls right into place for an awesome dive

My last dive at Blue Corner was in early August, but the water was still warm for anything large or interesting around. As a matter of fact, there wasn't even much fish around. Water temp was 25°C from top to bottom for the duration of the dive

Reactions: Dan
Yes, but is it taken from one of the divers' camera or National Geographic as said in the video you posted?

That's what I'm wondering.

As @gekodivebali said in his post on the previous page, that deepish picture of the GWS was the same picture he saw in Facebook. It also matches with the Thai diver description of where he saw it, around 23m depth.

...My last dive at Blue Corner was in early August, but the water was still warm for anything large or interesting around. As a matter of fact, there wasn't even much fish around. Water temp was 25°C from top to bottom for the duration of the dive

That's too bad. Sorry to hear that.

August is supposed to be the peak of Mola Mola season over there. I was in Crystal Bay in mid August 2014, during a full moon and saw 9 of them. My avatar was taken during that time at 143' (43m).

I'll be back there again in August 2021.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom