Where to dive if I just moved to NYC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi from a fellow new yorker. I haven't dived locally yet but, from what I hear, the wreck dives are pretty good.
I generally jump down to cozumel, isla mujeres and tulum two or three times a year. Great diving and if you've never dived a cenote, you owe yourself a trip to tulum. I typically get a nice air bnb for around 20 per night and rent a scooter for the same to get around. Two tank dives generally run around 80.
Flights to ft. Lauderdale are super cheap but the hotels are more costly and you'll need to rent a car.
Let me know if you find any local dives to your liking and i will do the same. Probably going to get drysuit certified before the summer to start diving locally.

Hi everyone,
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, if not please redirect me to a different one :)
My husband and I are experienced divers, we recently moved to NYC from Israel and are excited to explore our diving options.
The problem is I'm drowning in the sea of possibilities!
We are less into lake diving, and willing to take flights. Our budget is a little bit tight, for example my goal will be to do a live-aboard in the Galapagos but can't afford it. I am thinking about a week in a budget friendly resort in Mexico/Belize/anywhere else.
We dived a few times in the Philippines and Thailand and 1 time in Mexico (blue angel resort is exactly the style I'm looking for). We love big animals or corals, but not into wreck diving.
I hope this explains everything, your help is very much appreciated.
Beach 8th in Brooklyn.

Isn't that the aquarium stop just before coney?

If you can bring yourself to dive wrecks, head upstate to Lake Erie. The Great Lakes have world class shipwreck diving. And since they are freshwater, there are more than century old wooden wrecks nicely preserved. And fresh water means you don’t have to rinse your gear! Osprey Charters have a very good reputation.

Great Lakes diving is simply load your car and go!

Thanks man just bought it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha love this stuff man
when you've done these kinda dives you just sit back and visualise!

the cold and the pain and the hardship ha ha ha ha ha gotta love it

Got any more????

OP, Happy Diver is well, interesting. :D

Right where they found the gang hit in pieces this past summer. Bay 10 is our spot. Never seen anyone diving off the beach, though.

Thank you everyone for taking the time and answering, I really appreciate it.
@KathyV
Thank you so much for your offers and questions!
It might sound strange, but we don't usually plan a budget, we just try to go for the best diving in the lowest price possible. For example I have the buget for a week in Cozumel, but not for a week in the Galapagos. I'm willing to pay up to 300 for a return ticket from NYC, and about 100 dollars a night for accommodation, and 2 dives a day. Maybe it sounds like a budget then :wink:
Time of year - flexible but prefer winter time when NY is freezing.

@MrBigfins
I've been to Cozumel before but haven't heard of the southern reefs, will check it out, thank you. I like all the options especially Soccoro, mid range is good for me.

@BoundForElsewhere
I pmd you

Back
Top Bottom