Cataract Surgery (Split from Cozumel Reef Closure Thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10 years ago, I was having problems seeing thing at short distances and running around with 3 pairs of bifocals. On "the Tech Diver" several people had their lenses replaced with B&L Crystalens implants. 9 years ago I had them implanted, and my eyes LASIKed. It was the best $9000 i ever spent, and since I was able to write it off my taxes as an unreimbursed medical expense I got close to 1/2 back on my taxes.
End effect was I ended up spending $4500 for better than 20/20 vision from all distances between 9" and infinity.
Since then I have saved more than that on being able to buy sunglasses because they look cool, instead of having to buy glasses because I can't see without them, non Rx diving masks are a lot cheaper too.
If you decide to go the Crystalens route, read everything on their website and have the work done with a surgeon that is on their list of trained and certified surgeons. Nobody else can do the work! The promise I got was, minimally 100% vision for the rest of my life with free corrections if those values are not met at any time. I drove the poor surgeon crazy 2 years later when I showed up for an examination after a week of heavy trimix deco diving - he couldn't understand why I was suddenly very nearsighted but was prepared to LASIK me again for free. I told him why I was suddenly nearsighted and had another exam a week later where everything was perfect again.

Michael

Was just quoted $13,000 for double lens replacement...now I'm HOPING for cataracts so Insurance will cover some of it...

Jay

I don't understand. If you don't have cataracts, why do you need lens replacement?

I don't understand. If you don't have cataracts, why do you need lens replacement?
the lens in your eye functions like an onion, it continually get layers added on and eventually becomes too massive for the muscles in your eye to move far enough to focus properly. If one or more layers become cloudy we are now speaking about cataracts, otherwise we just have the problems of the elderly - not being able to focus up close.
An IOL cures the cataract problem for ever.
A focusable IOL also cures the farsightedness of the elderly. If done right you'll always have the sight of a much younger person.

Michael

I had mine corrected for 20/20 for distance. Readers for closeup. Opposite of what I had for 50 years.

I am now the proud owner of 15 pairs of reading glasses, (randomly placed in all areas of my house, work and car), 6 pairs of bifocal sunglasses and 2 diving masks with permanent readers.

I got multifocal intraocular lenses (Brand name Symfony). I love them. I can see near and far without glasses. This surgery can correct cataracts AND presbyopia.

The surgery takes about 15 minutes and you are awake during the entire procedure. I left the surgery center around 2:00PM, and met with friends for Happy Hour at 5:00! I did one eye at a time two weeks apart. It was amazing comparing the new lens (left) to the old lens (right) by closing one eye at at time. The new eye was brighter and colors more vivid!

Vision correction. Luckily I can read close up....but if it's past my fingertips, it's pretty much a guess as to what it is. Seems to be getting worse over the last few years. With glasses, I'm ok, but I imagine I'll spring for the surgery before long. That's 6 trips to Cozumel though for me and my wife. When you put EVERYTHING into scuba trip Dollars, it makes it harder to spend money.

Jay

Vision correction. Luckily I can read close up....but if it's past my fingertips, it's pretty much a guess as to what it is. Seems to be getting worse over the last few years. With glasses, I'm ok, but I imagine I'll spring for the surgery before long. That's 6 trips to Cozumel though for me and my wife. When you put EVERYTHING into scuba trip Dollars, it makes it harder to spend money.

Jay

I hear that loud and clear! I put everything in scuba dollars too! But you need to be able to see, so there's that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom