First Computer: Oceanic 2.0 vs Aqualung i200c? vs i300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceIX

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Have been lurking these boards a bit but first post. I know there have been a million "first computer" threads, but believe it or not, I really can't find a satisfactory answer to the models I'm picking between. So, I'm a pretty new diver (~20 dives completed) and am buying my first computer - I don't really see myself moving beyond being a 2-3x/year recreational diver. The models I'm looking at right now are the Oceanic Geo 2.0, Aqualung i200c, and i300c. It seems the main advantage of the i200c over the Oceanic Geo 2.0 is the bluetooth connectivity - but not sure that's worth $100 more - how useful/important is this in real usage? And then between the i200c/i300c, I sort of like the smaller size of the 200c in looking at it in-store, but I am wondering if the physically larger i300c might practically be better when actually under the water - do people actually ever have a hard time with seeing the display on the 200c? (I'm in my 30s, normal 20/20 vision).

Thanks in advance! And before someone suggests it, I'm not planning to get one of the $700+ technical dive computers someone always seems to suggest in beginner dive computer threads....

it depends on if you are the type that likes paper logging or not. if you like writing dives in a paper log, the bluetooth may not be as useful. otherwise, the cost of the cable to connect it to a computer makes up the difference in price pretty quickly.

the oceanic geo 4.0 also has bluetooth and the dsat dual algorithm. the i300 is a bit easier to read, but the deciding factor really should be if you intend to wear it around as a watch or not. if you do, the i200 or geo is the better choice.

I currently use a Geo 2, it satisfies my needs a a recreational diver. Once i understood the operation, it's been great.
I do not have a need for another computer, at this time, but if I was in the market the i200c would be one of the top choice. The Teric (sp) looks awesome but seems to be a little more than I need and the price to match.

Get the new Geo 4.0. I’ve been told the user interface was improved over the 2.0, but I’m not sure how true that is.

The Oceanic computer offers DSAT as well as PZ+, Aqua Lung only PZ+. Is the deco algorithm important to you? The Geo 4 has Bluetooth, Geo 2 does not.

Hm, while I like the idea of the DSAT algorithm being less conservative from what I've read, it sounds like most are pretty happy with PZ+, would you all say that's right? I guess I hadn't looked at the Geo 4 much yet - is having the DSAT option pretty much the only meaningful difference between the Geo 4 and the Aqualung i200c?

I owned a Geo 2 and dove it till it died. I probably got over 700 dives out of it. Once I figured out the menus it was simple to use and rugged. So based on my past experience with the Geo 2 I'd suggest looking at the Geo 4 since it does have bluetooth connectivity. Syncing via USB is a little bit of a pain. If I were in the market for a new, wrist mounted dive computer and didn't want wireless air integration I'd be seriously looking a the Geo 4 based on my good experience with the Geo 2. And once I figured out my diving style I switched to the DSAT algorithm and never looked back.

Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom