pneumaturia (air in urine)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
So I managed to do this the other week. Drysuit with cath. Week later no ill effects. I figure I must have done something wrong but I don't know what? I found the name in Wiki, but it lacks details. Searching this site I can't find any info either.

Pneumaturia - Wikipedia

So I managed to do this the other week. Drysuit with cath. Week later no ill effects. I figure I must have done something wrong but I don't know what? I found the name in Wiki, but it lacks details. Searching this site I can't find any info either.

Pneumaturia - Wikipedia

Did you "prime" the p-valve before diving ? (ie was the hose full). Connect cath to p-valve and then do a small urination, with the valve open to fill the hose, before diving.

On the two occasions I connected the cath to a dry, empty, hose I experienced air in urine. No ill effects, but an unusual experience to say the least. I asked some Doctors later and they say it is not a good thing to have happen and should be avoided

No prime. I thought that was what the balanced part was for. I only use it on 20% of the dives, but those 20% it is worth it.
So my mistake was to not prime?
Yes, a weird feeling. Almost like having some bad Mexican food, but on the front side instead of the back. Very noticeable on ascent but stopped when I leveled off for a stop.

That kind of back flow can lead to horrible urinary tract infections, bad enough that the dr asked my husband to level with him about the sexual tourist trip he must have taken to Thailand. Prime if you plumb, and flush the tubing with vinegar/alcohol/your choice of disinfectant after dives.

Priming is standard practice, but I agree with @broncobowsher that SiTech trigon has a built in check valve which should prevent backflow even when not primed. The valve may need service?

The check valves are checked every cleaning. I take a large syringe filled with cleaner, push it through for a rinse, pull back and hear the gargling, push out again. Another batch or two of cleaner. My drying is to pump air with the syringe. All the check valves work. You can tell the inside and outside are working at the correct times.

If it was unbalanced, I would see the need to prime every time.

Have 100+ drysuit dives, this was a first for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom