Carry stage like side mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstorms

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,
Over the weekend I was playing with my kit and I attached a bungee to my backplate and a sliding D ring to the left side of the harnas. This allows me to take a stage and carry it like a sidemount cilinder, in near horizontal position. It is not as perfectly horizontal as in my actual sidemount setup (because the distance armpit - waist is shorter), but it seems to be way better than the traditional stage with the but upright and the top dangling below the chest.
I have tested it with a single stage and that works really well, and it feels like I could carry a couple of stages like that (like in sidemount). So now I am wondering why I don't see more people rigged like that. I can't imagine I'm the first one to have that idea, so there must be a downside I'm not seeing?
What are the thoughts? Why is this setup not more common?
Thanks for your replies!

If your diving back mount - then your profile in a horizontal position is tall because of the tank(s) on your back. Now adding stages in a sidemount configuration is also making you wide. If your open ocean - would really matter your shape in the water. If your diving wreck or cave then you may want to dive the stages as hanging in front.

You'll find this practice is common with CCR bailout in a cave. The addition of a buttplate/butterfly butt D-ring/Light Monkey BAS (bailout attachment system)/stand/rack helps to alleviate the lowness of the bottom clip and make the cylinders ride higher and horizontal. This rigging can, depending on how snug it is, impair the process of gas identification and slow down tank rotation drills. Your height will determine the compatability with an off the shelf stage rigging kit. With AL80s or still bottles with He it's quite nice. I use the process for stage bottles containing the same mix as backgas. I would not necessarily advocate the practice to slung deco bottles in open water.

There’s a few videos on YouTube showing ways of rigging to keep stages streamlined. I think it’s a good best practice.

how do you add a 2nd bottle then?
I can't answer that question, but I'd look at Tomasz Michura with some of his insane (my words) / impractical (his words) where he has 10 cylinders set up. I think his max practical number of cylinders is 6. Mine is 4, so two on a side work well. Or if you look at the Steve Martin videos on how to add one cylinder per side, then you see how you can add a snug, streamlined cylinders. That was my config for my normoxic trimix course.

Because it wasn't taught in the course

full.jpg

INVENTIVENESS | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

So now I am wondering why I don't see more people rigged like that. I can't imagine I'm the first one to have that idea, so there must be a downside I'm not seeing?
What are the thoughts? Why is this setup not more common?

Add a bungie on the other side, and sm the same, that’s how I carry my al80 stages with my breather. I don’t even notice them, either one. Manifold cylinder valves(post). Regs facing up, 2nd stages on the outside behind my hip.

how do you add a 2nd bottle then?
Just like in sidemount, I’ll run longer rigging, I’ve tried bungee as well. Al 40s are easy, using 80’s take up more real estate, after 4 bottles I’m maxed out and any more they’d be leashed but that’s beyond my level.

Just like in sidemount, I’ll run longer rigging, I’ve tried bungee as well. Al 40s are easy, using 80’s take up more real estate, after 4 bottles I’m maxed out and any more they’d be leashed but that’s beyond my level.
Are these bottom stages or deco bottles
How are you verifying them? I guess rotating them into the lower front left but damn that's a ton of extra work rotating compared to a leash

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom