Hopping my way to full cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any discussion on use of a DPV for your situation? No doubt, as with any cave-DPV you have to plan for scooter failure, but just wondering if that was discussed with your instructors..
To clarify for non cave DPV divers reading this...

Scooters add complexity and Ya still gotta know how to swim out from potentially much further penetrations in case of scooter failures or loss. They are also not allowed in certain systems and are inappropriate, even dangerous in some areas.

The belt mounted thigh pockets suck.:eek: They are a lot of work to get in/out of and tend to shift and twist. I'm not a fan of the butt pouches either. Glue on pockets work great. Just be sure to get a larger sized deep one (Halcyon, LM), not the slim ones. The slim ones wont hold much and are difficult to reach into when curved around your leg. Also make sure the height where its mounted allows for a natural reach while diving.

The belt mounted thigh pockets suck.:eek: They are a lot of work to get in/out of and tend to shift and twist. I'm not a fan of the butt pouches either. Glue on pockets work great. Just be sure to get a larger sized deep one (Halcyon, LM), not the slim ones. The slim ones wont hold much and are difficult to reach into when curved around your leg. Also make sure the height where its mounted allows for a natural reach while diving.
Glued on can work
These are nice if you're lazy like me or use your wetsuit for non-diving stuff.
DGX Neoprene Pocket Shorts | Dive Gear Express®

I was thinking about tech shorts but I'm not sure I want to have to deal with another layer.

But I did find out that my flashlight pocket doesn't really work with my Xtar D26s, I need a push button tail cap light for it to work. So looking at either a DGX push or a Dive Rite CX1. The CX1 is attractive as there is a Dive Rite mount with it that will work with their soft goodman. So I can just switch it for my "broken" primary and not have to hold it.

I like shorts (there are various brands) as glue on pockets never seem actually to stay glued or look nice. I have a keen sense of diving fashion.

I like shorts (there are various brands) as glue on pockets never seem actually to stay glued or look nice. I have a keen sense of diving fashion.

Yeah I noticed that, at worst case I will take my wetsuit down to Wetwear, who made it, to have her sew it on.

But I did find out that my flashlight pocket doesn't really work with my Xtar D26s

That’s odd, that’s where I carry both of my X26 backups while cave diving. No issues, just gotta make sure you twist that button lock the full quarter turn.

That’s odd, that’s where I carry both of my X26 backups while cave diving. No issues, just gotta make sure you twist that button lock the full quarter turn.

It is more of an issue of not being able to unlock it with it still in the pouch and bolt snapped.

Well the next two days of cave training are scheduled three weeks away, hoping to get my apprentice done, so I am chugging away at the elearning.

Last weekend I did the Fall Megadive at Ginnie, I dove with the Scubaboard group, and the Next Level Dive Club group (a local Facebook dive group). It was the first time diving sidemount with my own regs, and tank rigging. That is taking a little time to figure out, the original 9" inflator hose was too long it was causing the inflator to be pushed out of position. I switched to a 6" inflator hose and it worked fine on the first dive, but on the second dive with it it was still pushing the inflator out of position. Also the short hose feels a little short even though it is a 24" hose.

The wetsuit pocket definately works better than my butt pockets, but I think I need to shorten up the bungees on my butt plate so the reels hang a little better.

Anyways I got some picture from Mica, who runs the NLDC group, it looks like my tanks are in trim, but I'm not entirely sure. These are from inside the ballroom.

Ginnie_Halloween_Night4.jpg

Ginnie_Halloween_Night5.jpg

Next dives are next weekend, an intro level friend of mine are hoping to putz around in the cavern zone at Little River, or somewhere similar up there, doing drills and such.

Last dives before my cave class next weekend. Due to not wanting to head all the way up to cave country, and Bird being at DEMA, I had to use aluminum tanks for these days, which was a huge pain in my rear. Even after I transitioned my bolt snap to my lower d-rings it still felt like they were riding up. I just wasn't comfortable at all, I much prefer the LP85s that I've been renting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom