Fusion socks leaking - multiple reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@-JD- , I’ve had my shuitrepaired and the story I got was that the machine that does the heating/rolling of the seams was set up wrong. It needs to be recalibrated and was not being done correctly so all the socks that were made in the first bulk production run are bad.

I just got off the phone with my shop...from what I understood (french is my 2nd language and it is easier when speaking in person because I can watch the person's mouth, facial expression, etc to help with comprehension), they said the suit shipped out today to AL but they have had discussions last week with their AL rep for Belgium and Northern France and they acknowledged the issue and will take care of it. They could not give me a time frame but I am hoping it will be sooner than later.

For me, I don't have the benefit to continue to limp along with my suit until the replacement comes, but I did pick up a really nice semi-dry this past summer from a fellow SB member stationed in Germany. It is a Waterproof combat sd...the seals in the neck and wrist were a little too big so I had them professionally modified to fit me better...it fits so well the darn thing needs an inflator as I get a suit squeeze a the beginning of the dive across my shoulders and after an hour in the water my rash guard is still dry....I had to stop folding the ankle seals under because when I did I could not vent any air from the suit and was stuck on the surface like a cork.

Water temp here is still between 14c-16c depending on location and depth, and it should stay relatively the same through most of November. (+/- 1 or 2 degrees). The big issue is not the water, it is the gray rainy season here...the lack of sun coupled with the declining air temp makes drysuit diving much more appealing despite the water temp still being tolerable with a wetsuit/semi-dry. The fact that my top was almost completely dry the last couple of dives with my semi makes this whole ordeal with my Fusion just a tad more tolerable.

-Z

@-JD- , I’ve had my shuitrepaired and the story I got was that the machine that does the heating/rolling of the seams was set up wrong. It needs to be recalibrated and was not being done correctly so all the socks that were made in the first bulk production run are bad.
Good data point.

Pure speculation: If it was just a (fixable) machine issue, I doubt they would have pulled all production back to Canada. It could be inability/unwillingness to fix the causes & QC properly, or it could have become a responsibility/financial dispute

I don't think mine is just a sock issue - I come out with my with my whole lower 2/3 completely soaked and have areas of wet sleeves - this is just standing in a pool with my wrists and neck out of the water ... Before this trial the suit was inflated and soapy water tested in the valve and zipper areas.

DRIS told me the suit was patched. So I’m assuming they did put a patch on the seam.

If you go to AquaLung’s YouTube channel, you will see how the Fusion is assembled. It’s 7-8 years old, but I don’t know if the method is still the same.

I’m going to be diving at a quarry in OH over the winter with buddies to practice for my tech course next summer, as long as the weather is good and there’s no ice on the surface. I can alway borrow a loaner from DRIS if I have to, but mine fits so much better (maybe due to the female specific cut to the Fit skin), and the AirCore is a lot easier for me to get into, compared to one of the older DryCore Fusion models, which is what DRIS has on their rental fleet.

As for the Velcro in the Fusion boots, I took the knee pads out of the skin and used that thin neoprene to cover the Velcro in the boots. I didn’t want my neoprene socks to get snagged and leak. I didn’t like the knee pads anyway.

I’m going to be diving at a quarry in OH over the winter with buddies to practice for my tech course next summer, as long as the weather is good and there’s no ice on the surface. I can alway borrow a loaner from DRIS if I have to, but mine fits so much better (maybe due to the female specific cut to the Fit skin), and the AirCore is a lot easier for me to get into, compared to one of the older DryCore Fusion models, which is what DRIS has on their rental fleet.

As for the Velcro in the Fusion boots, I took the knee pads out of the skin and used that thin neoprene to cover the Velcro in the boots. I didn’t want my neoprene socks to get snagged and leak. I didn’t like the knee pads anyway.

If you have neoprene pads in your suit then your AirCore suit is either a 2016 or 2017 model year suit. AirCore Fusions were introduced in 2016 and with the 2018 model year AL discontinued the removable pad in the forearm and lower leg...they also reduced the area of gatortec fabric.

-Z

For me, I don't have the benefit to continue to limp along with my suit until the replacement comes, but I did pick up a really nice semi-dry this past summer from a fellow SB member stationed in Germany. It is a Waterproof combat sd...the seals in the neck and wrist were a little too big so I had them professionally modified to fit me better...it fits so well the darn thing needs an inflator as I get a suit squeeze a the beginning of the dive across my shoulders and after an hour in the water my rash guard is still dry....I had to stop folding the ankle seals under because when I did I could not vent any air from the suit and was stuck on the surface like a cork.

Water temp here is still between 14c-16c depending on location and depth, and it should stay relatively the same through most of November. (+/- 1 or 2 degrees). The big issue is not the water, it is the gray rainy season here...the lack of sun coupled with the declining air temp makes drysuit diving much more appealing despite the water temp still being tolerable with a wetsuit/semi-dry. The fact that my top was almost completely dry the last couple of dives with my semi makes this whole ordeal with my Fusion just a tad more tolerable.

-Z
At least you are looking for a 2XL/3XL so maybe a little less demand than a L/XL - Hoping for you!

I have been considering picking up a Waterproof W4 7mm (I have a Waterproof W3 (3.5mm) that I got for tropical diving and really like it so far) or a Deep 6 7mm to replace my old Henderson Gold-Core 7mm (which has become a compressed-neoprene suit now and no-fun below 60 degF.) I'd consider a semi-dry, but that Waterproof SD is $900 - Ouch! I'm not sure that I can justify an additional $500.

I agree, being in the water in the fall is the good part. Wet, on the hard, when it could be snowing is not fun.

If you have neoprene pads in your suit then your AirCore suit is either a 2016 or 2017 model year suit. AirCore Fusions were introduced in 2016 and with the 2018 model year AL discontinued the removable pad in the forearm and lower leg...they also reduced the area of gatortec fabric.

-Z

I was told the skins and the AirCore were being kept in stock separately, not together, when I bought my suit in August 2018 and received it a month later. So skin is 2016 or 2017. AirCore 2018. I had to wait a month for my suit after it was ordered.

I’m just glad this is happening in my off season!

At least you are looking for a 2XL/3XL so maybe a little less demand than a L/XL - Hoping for you!

I have been considering picking up a Waterproof W4 7mm (I have a Waterproof W3 (3.5mm) that I got for tropical diving and really like it so far) or a Deep 6 7mm to replace my old Henderson Gold-Core 7mm (which has become a compressed-neoprene suit now and no-fun below 60 degF.) I'd consider a semi-dry, but that Waterproof SD is $900 - Ouch! I'm not sure that I can justify an additional $500.

I agree, being in the water in the fall is the good part. Wet, on the hard, when it could be snowing is not fun.

I lost 50lbs since i purchased my suit in june of 2018....dont think they would send me an L/XL though.

Even if they would the issue wpuld be thay they are only replacingnthe core kot the skin so I would have a L/Xl core with 2xl/3xl skin....i am mot sure how well that would work...i have seen larger core with smaller skin but not the other way around.

My fusion thermal is 2xl/3xl as well only used it a couple of times because it is hella warm and became a bit big on me when I dropped the weight....but mostly because itnis just too warm for the waters here. Great undersuit but I wish I had one size smaller.

-Z

Got my replacement AirCore today. Has a brass zipper. I had been told by someone that AL was now using plastic zippers on new AirCores. Guess I got some of the old stock.

Stopped by DRIS for a few things on my way out of town to quarry dive in OH with a few buddies. Drysuit gal came out with my replacement AirCore and switched everything over while I waited. Will dive it tomorrow.

They just send the AirCore. Everything else - valves, neck and wrist seals - gets switched over from your old one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom