Great White spotted at Crystal Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which would you have preferred? Had you known that you would see a great white, would you have given up the mola molas and the thresher shark?

No. (1) I don’t know enough about GWS and people in Guadalupe, Mexico, see them from a cage. (2) We had one day of diving and came there half around the world for Mola Mola. The guide knew where they were. We stick with the plan. (3) I’ll see GWS from a safe place with Nautilus Liveaboards - 21 Jul 2020 on Nautilus Belle Amie

I would stay at Padang Bai and have few bottles of Bintang instead.

I prefer Tulamben,
purimada800x657.JPG

Just seen this tonight after I arrived in Bali. Looks like some Indonesians are proud enough to display the inhabitants of their country for the world to see. I'm not sure if they put the pic of the Great White before or after the Bali sighting
20191014_211141.jpg

Attachments

• 20191014_211156.jpg
    20191014_211156.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 46
I will be in Bali in a week, and I was not even thinking of going to dive Crystal Bay.
I've done it a few times and seen Mola Mola there. But most of the time seen Mola Mola in different sites, just froze my ass at Crystal Bay. But now I might, just curious.
Has anyone been there recently and seen mola mola in Cristal Bay? Usually lots of people and no Mola Mola in 19C water.

This was not the first sighting reported. Guys like Wally report having sighted them a few times over their decades long dive career from Bali. Such encounters are obviously not as frequent as say thresher sharks or whale sharks on Bali, but this does not make a first... Only social media hype does, reminding me of the shite video supposed to be at Manta Point with more plastic than water!
Anyways, I'd personally love to see a great white on a chance encounter. I had what looked like a silky once on a sunrise dive in Padang Bai and only one leopard shark at Crystal Bay on the deep side. Threshers and whale sharks a few times all over the island from Tulamben to North Penida. This type of extremely rare encounters makes diving here all the more exciting. Let's just hope dive ops won't start advertising this and Anglo-Saxon media won't do their usual tourist scaremongering!

This was not the first sighting reported. Guys like Wally report having sighted them a few times over their decades long dive career from Bali. Such encounters are obviously not as frequent as say thresher sharks or whale sharks on Bali, but this does not make a first... Only social media hype does, reminding me of the shite video supposed to be at Manta Point with more plastic than water!
Anyways, I'd personally love to see a great white on a chance encounter. I had what looked like a silky once on a sunrise dive in Padang Bai and only one leopard shark at Crystal Bay on the deep side. Threshers and whale sharks a few times all over the island from Tulamben to North Penida. This type of encounters of extremely rare encounters make diving here all the more exciting. Let's just hope dive ops won't start advertising this and Anglo-Saxon media won't do their usual tourist scaremongering!

Thanks for sharing that info, good to know. I have a feeling that the recent GWS sighting wasn't some lost shark. More likely just feasting in paradise. I'm guessing thousands of pilot whales getting around Indonesia at the moment and the last couple of months

Yeah I hope the mainstream media won't scaremonger for some tasteless tabloids

My trip this time is not really for diving, my gf is not a diver. But I might do a Mola trip. Aqua Marine is still using my mola and diver photo from 10 years ago.
I don't mind seeing things out in the blue. If you keep looking, there are things out there that most divers don't see. Too bad I have a macro lens on when the whale shark goes over my head.:)

I don't think it's scaremongering, I would love to see one.

My trip this time is not really for diving, my gf is not a diver. But I might do a Mola trip. Aqua Marine is still using my mola and diver photo from 10 years ago.
I don't mind seeing things out in the blue. If you keep looking, there are things out there that most divers don't see. Too bad I have a macro lens on when the whale shark goes over my head.:)

I don't think it's scaremongering, I would love to see one.
Oh, the scaremongering has already started: Terrifying moment enormous five-metre great white shark stalks scuba divers in Bali | Daily Mail Online

Back
Top Bottom