Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I don’t get is why they still sell yoke valves. Convertible valve will work on anything, so they can sell to yoke divers. They’d be especially useful for shop rentals. I’m definitely seeing more and more convertibles, but yokes are still around.

Least common demoninator. Unless i'm mistaken, you can adapt from DIN to Yoke but have to convert the other way around right?

The donuts are a pain, take a few moments to pull, and i'm sure get lost.

For the dive ops that cater to airline travellers, there is no real reason to go to DIN. In my travels around south florida and the carribean, I don't see too many people with DIN kits that use the house tanks.

When I think of DIN, I think of people that own their own tanks. Owning tanks means you're a committed diver and are most likely doing a decent amount of drivable diving. So when they travel they can bring along a $100 adapter, or a serviced $300 first stage. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I own four DIN first stages, and two Yoke first stages. I own zero tanks. The 90 of my 100 dives I usually do a year are with the Yokes. (the DIN firsts I only use for deco diving -- those outfitters always have DIN).

I've never heard of or seen a DIN reg that was not rated for 300 bar.

I have... Once.

All (pro) valves even on Ali tanks around here are the 300bar type. The problem came when a customer was getting an air leak after connecting to his cylinder (which confused a few people) a glance at the 1st stage made the solution obvious (to me) because the shorter Din looks "so wrong" (if you've constantly used 300bar Din fittings)

I didn't take note of the reg type etc because I'd moved on to the next customer problem (how much weight do you think I need? question *sigh*)

So when they travel they can bring along a $100 adapter, or a serviced $300 first stage. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I never travel with an adaptor (but then I don't travel to the US /Caribbean.

It takes little effort for me to ask ahead (or only to chose Ops that have DIN) Over the years I have acquired the conversion kits for my regs, but so far their only use has been to gather dust

I didn't take note of the reg type etc because I'd moved on to the next customer problem (how much weight do you think I need? question *sigh*)
I actually think that that can be a perfectly legitimate question. On my first diving vacation abroad, I had some 50 dives in my log, but hadn't worn a wetsuit since my OWD pool sessions. I had no way of knowing how much weight I'd need for a 5 mil wetsuit. But I knew to the kilo how much I needed for different undergarment configurations, I definitely knew how to set up and break down my gear, and I knew enough about diving not to need any hand-holding or herding underwater.

I actually think that that can be a perfectly legitimate question. On my first diving vacation abroad, I had some 50 dives in my log, but hadn't worn a wetsuit since my OWD pool sessions. I had no way of knowing how much weight I'd need for a 5 mil wetsuit. But I knew to the kilo how much I needed for different undergarment configurations, I definitely knew how to set up and break down my gear, and I knew enough about diving not to need any hand-holding or herding underwater.

People find it easier to ask then to think

Weighting calcs are part of OW. If you wish me to tell you how much weight you'll need without thinking I'll not be impressed and will put the question back at you

However if you ask me my opinion of your weighting calcs then I'll be happy to help

We boat dive. We board from water to deep to stand in, a weight check before we depart isn't difficult - you'd be amazed at how many people have forgotten how to do it

I'm here to encourage divers to think and assist. Spoon feeding info doesn't help anyone. Sorry.

Weighting calcs are part of OW.
In drysuit country that curriculum is worthless.

If you wish me to tell you how much weight you'll need without thinking I'll not be impressed and will put the question back at you
"With my thick drysuit undergarments I use some 15kg, with the thin undersuit I need about 3-4kg less, and the couple of times I've worn a 5 mil onepiece, I've needed 6-7kg depending on the age of the suit. Now, can you give me an estimate for what I'll need in a 3 mil, so we have a decent starting point for a quick weight check?"

I'm here to encourage divers to think and assist. Spoon feeding info doesn't help anyone. Sorry.
If you told me to my face that I should remember worthless stuff I was taught once sometime five to ten years ago before you deigned to fit me out, I'd seriously consider another op for tomorrow's dive. I'm here to dive, not to be berated for not remembering stuff I've never used and never needed. Sorry.

I'm overweighted, so as not to be spat out of the ocean or into the boat bottom

The reg top left is rated to 300 bar DIN, and top right with heavier yoke 200 bar

full.jpg

They both go diving with 200 bar heavier yokes, with 90 duro orings at 290 bar

In drysuit country that curriculum is worthless.
So you weren't taught how to calculate weight in a drysuit? After all this isn't' your first DS dive

I've worn a 5 mil onepiece, I've needed 6-7kg depending on the age of the suit. Now, can you give me an estimate for what I'll need in a 3 mil, so we have a decent starting point for a quick weight check?"

Without seeing you in the flesh, my initial thought is you were either over weighted or you need to go to the gym

If you told me to my face that I should remember worthless stuff I was taught once sometime five to ten years ago before you deigned to fit me out, I'd seriously consider another op for tomorrow's dive. I'm here to dive, not to be berated for not remembering stuff I've never used and never needed. Sorry.

If you were an OW diver who hadn't dived for an age, then you'd have figured your weight on a refresher and we'd have gone back over weighting calcs

If you'd have told me that you're a CMAS 3* and then asked me a basic question, I'd have questioned your cert.

I don't berate anyone, but I don't spoon feed either. If people don't know then its a learning exercise. When teaching you don't give the answer without getting the student to think about it first.

you weren't taught how to calculate weight in a drysuit?
No, I wasn't. Please enlighten me.

Because AFAIK it's all about the undergarments and has nothing to do with the suit itself. At least with a membrane suit. I've used wildly different amounts of weight wearing the same suit. The difference was the undergarments, from a thin layer of underwear in the pool to a thick, heavy undersuit backed by some quality wool underwear during a cold winter dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom