Do you ever wonder why there are not many sharks left in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were hundreds of counted GWs off MA this past summer. How many uncounted? Where do they all come from if they are endangered?

We don’t have the resources and England doesn’t have the jurisdiction, we need the international community to come together and place sanctions on Japan to stop them.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you also wanted manpower support.

Couldn't you grant temporary jurisdiction or a special circumstance to bring in other countries on the front lines?

There were hundreds of counted GWs off MA this past summer. How many uncounted? Where do they all come from if they are endangered?
Yeah, California has more reported GW activity too, but those are micro increases in small areas. We’re talking the global population counts of all species which overall have been decimated.
At some point there will be a global collapse and extinction. There will not be enough animals to carry on a stable population. The world is accelerating to this end as demand continues to go up and stocks dwindle down to nothing.
Eventually all the boats will be docked and rotting because shark fishing will have become fruitless and they will spend weeks at sea with nothing to show for it.
The people doing the fishing are just looking at getting enough pay to feed their families at this point. I don’t think the small guy doing the fishing is evil, just desperate and ignorant.

Yeah, California has more reported GW activity too, but those are micro increases in small areas. We’re talking the global population counts of all species which overall have been decimated.
At some point there will be a global collapse and extinction. There will not be enough animals to carry on a stable population. The world is accelerating to this end as demand continues to go up and stocks dwindle down to nothing.
Eventually all the boats will be docked and rotting because shark fishing will have become fruitless and they will spend weeks at sea with nothing to show for it.
The people doing the fishing are just looking at getting enough pay to feed their families at this point. I don’t think the small guy doing the fishing is evil, just desperate and ignorant.

I've got problems with that line of thinking. GWs are world travelers their range is global. The main reason more are seen in one place than another is food.

I've got problems with that line of thinking. GWs are world travelers their range is global. The main reason more are seen in one place than another is food.
In California they have a very active tagging program, so they have been able to gather data about where they go but they don’t necessarily know what they do. There is a population that arrives in California from Hawaii about now and they are known to feed around many of the seal and sea lion haul outs. The Farallon Islands being a big one. The red triangle (which is famous for GW activity) is a line drawn from the Farallon Islands to Monterey Bay, up the coast to Bodega Bay, and back out to the Farallons. Between here and Hawaii is still a big mystery. Some of them are known for going very deep during this trip which is to their benefit because it makes them harder if not impossible to catch. They believe they do this to feed and they also believe they go to Hawaii to breed.
I believe GW sharks to be the most difficult for them to catch since their migrations can be erratic and since they typically cruise so close to shore looking for prey and where illegal shark fishing would be spotted very quickly, especially right off the coast of the US.
But nothing would surprise if people get desperate enough.

Deepwater sharks | Australian Fisheries Management Authority

Australia has set the fishing quota on deep water sharks for the 2019/20 season to 235 tonnes (235,000kg). The quota was set with a view towards sustainability. If there was a political will to manage fishing quotas in international waters things could improve.

Deepwater sharks | Australian Fisheries Management Authority

Australia has set the fishing quota on deep water sharks for the 2019/20 season to 235 tonnes (235,000kg). The quota was set with a view towards sustainability. If there was a political will to manage fishing quotas in international waters things could improve.
I suspect that sustainability, Australian style, is what they did to Orange Roughy, which by 2008 was down to 10% of the 1970-s stock.

If there was a political will to manage fishing quotas in international waters things could improve.

I don't see it happening after what happened with the IWC. You would have to place limits on membership to prevent activist from taking over the organization.

I hoped you brought something new here, but I kept my eye on the problem ever since Myers et al paper was published in 2007, and this video adds nothing.

Adds nothing? At least it brings awareness and education to those shark fin soup consumers and some Chinese restaurants in London now ban shark fin soup. Those shark fin suppliers in Costa Rica, Taiwan & Hong Kong start to feel the heat and are trying to cover up their business activities.

In California they have a very active tagging program, so they have been able to gather data about where they go but they don’t necessarily know what they do. There is a population that arrives in California from Hawaii about now and they are known to feed around many of the seal and sea lion haul outs. The Farallon Islands being a big one. The red triangle (which is famous for GW activity) is a line drawn from the Farallon Islands to Monterey Bay, up the coast to Bodega Bay, and back out to the Farallons. Between here and Hawaii is still a big mystery. Some of them are known for going very deep during this trip which is to their benefit because it makes them harder if not impossible to catch. They believe they do this to feed and they also believe they go to Hawaii to breed.
I believe GW sharks to be the most difficult for them to catch since their migrations can be erratic and since they typically cruise so close to shore looking for prey and where illegal shark fishing would be spotted very quickly, especially right off the coast of the US.
But nothing would surprise if people get desperate enough.
I find the number of fishings ships out there is astounding. Especially in some remote places...

MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom