Great White spotted at Crystal Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know 3 people who have been attacked by sharks, all were doing things that put them at significant risk and diving well beyond normal recreational activities. One was not even diving and surface swimming in turbid water known to be prime bull shark habitat, one was feeding silvertip sharks in an exposed condition, meaning hovering over a reef without anything behind them, the other had a lobster in his BCD. The surface swimmer was severely injured but made a near full recovery, the shark feeder lost a chunk of their leg but recovered and the lobster guy had his BCD ripped apart but was completely unharmed, it was a strike of surgical precision. Another diver I know was circled by a GW while doing deco off Long Island NY, promptly dropped his mesh bags full of scollops and lobster, which is what attracted the GW, it dove right after the bags and he did not see the shark again.

All were doing things most recreational divers do not. Add to that the chance of seeing a GW on a tropical reef which is not their normal habitat, where the numbers of large prey are relatively low compared to their regular habitats, and you have a once in a lifetime chance that probably doesn’t last more than a few seconds.

All my close shark encounters, including being bumped by them twice, happened in remote parts of the world where humans may never have been and while diving CCR. The first time I was bumped because I was drifting in a current along a wall and I had barely moved for a long period of time. I could hear my dive buddy chuckling and couldn’t figure out why until I looked down and noticed the shark was practically between my legs. I may have actually kicked it first before we made contact but as soon we did it took off like a rocket. The other time was while “shark calling” by rubbing a plastic bottle to mimic a distressed fish and I got bumped when a silvertip came in very fast from below us and glanced off my leg. As soon as my dive buddy stopped rubbing the bottle the shark slowed down and went back to its normal patrolling behavior then swam off.

Both my bumps happened on exploratory dives in remote parts of Papua New Guinea and on CCR. In other words, we had to go to a lot of trouble to put ourselves in a position to even have those encounters. How many divers go to Nusa Penida every day? Probably near 100, I would guess. How many shark attacks have their been at Nusa Penida?

I’m not trying to make light of your fear or talk you out of it, just trying to bring my perspective...

You're talking to the wrong person about that. As I've told you, I've been snugly with other sharks. I've been to Raja Ampat more than once. I've been to Maldives and quite literally hung with the sharks. I've been diving a number of times when the sharks are called with the bottle. I've been approached, though not yet bumped more than once. I stand my ground and make eye contact.

No, I have not been to PNG on CCR.

I hope you keep getting only bumps.

My point is that in general, I'm not afraid of sharks. I'd like to keep it that way. And when I dive SD and/or Crystal Bay, I don't want to be looking around for a GW. I'd much prefer to be having a great dive with mola mola or a cruise upon a stunningly beautiful reef, where I'm likely to encounter a few octopuses, be followed by a pair of butterfly fish and if it's a good day, I'll be the first to spy the whale shark.

The only issue with cool water at crystal bay is the 2500km of warm water it had to swim through to get from its usual range to temperatures that mirror what it is used to here. Water temp up at Ningaloo where one was filmed is toasty warm. It was not off the continental shelf/out "the back" as we call it, it was close enough to be filmed in relatively shallow water...not the usual GW route of choice.
@DownUnderwater Dan I know they have a bad rep but...they're certainly not deserving of the "known man eater" tag - it was that sort of label that got Western Australia worldwide condemnation when the previous moron sitting at the helm declared a shark cull. We don't want that sort of rhetoric around....how about....certain individuals have tasted human flesh, but like Jeffrey Dahmer are not representative of the species?

OK, OK, OK, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I'll rephrase politically correct... "The Great Multicoloured Vegan Warrior" formerly known as "man-eater"

Geez, I don't know what point you're trying to prove

I think this story about GWS at Crystal Bay is nothing but great & exciting news for so many reasons. Great news for divers, great news for Bali and great news for Indonesia. In the last few decades & 10's of thousandts of dives, this has been the only sighting...a once in a lifetime experience

No one will know if the GWS is an indigenous Australian or Indonesian citizen or what country it spends the majority of it's life in, until it's tagged and researched. Still so many unknowns about GWS after decades of research. One thing for sure, wherever it's from, it's tastes won't discriminate

I think your getting your terminology all wrong. Jeffrey Dahmer was a "cannibal", never described as a "man-eater". Also he never killed and ate for survival, as far as I know

I'm pretty sure it's the same event at Crystal Bay. Just with a little bit more detail.

Thanks

The article says that the GWS was spotted on 20 Sep. in Crystal Bay. At that same day, we dove in Manta Point and planning to make 2nd dive in Crystal Bay. My DM decided to dive in Blue Corner instead as Mola Mola has not been spotted in Crystal Bay in the last day or two and they have seen Mola Mola in Blue Corner the day before. We ended seeing 4 Mola Mola and a Thresher shark in Blue Corner.

If I didn't know you were 19 years old I'd play ...but I'm about to have a nap and don't feel like being "cute" ... I have nothing to prove.

The article says that the GWS was spotted on 20 Sep. in Crystal Bay. At that same day, we dove in Manta Point and planning to make 2nd dive in Crystal Bay. My DM decided to dive in Blue Corner instead as Mola Mola has not been spotted in Crystal Bay in the last day or two and they have seen Mola Mola in Blue Corner the day before. We ended seeing 4 Mola Mola and a Thresher shark in Blue Corner.

Which would you have preferred? Had you known that you would see a great white, would you have given up the mola molas and the thresher shark?

Back
Top Bottom