How to unroll 300LB mono that’s not on a reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes I tried untwisting by hand in the back yard got some kinks out.
deepest depth. so far is only 120'

I did try the drop an let it untwist kindof like a old fashion telephone cord however left the anchor a 8LB danforth probably prevented it from unspinning. thanks for tips STB

I'm not having the usalle good luck w/ the rod/reel this year so I'm extremely anxious to kill a good size fish in next few weeks. but now am concerned about over population of sharks not just happy stealing my catch but taking a bit outta me.
I'm convinced the sharks are ruining my Gulf Mexico Panhandle ,FL fishing area.
This time of year sucks for fishing here. The heat makes it a miserable trip out and when you can't even get bait to bite it sure makes for a long day.

Try fishing deeper spots like the rock areas about 25 miles out from Pensacola pass if you really want them on hook and line. Otherwise just dive and shoot what you want. The fish are on all our local wrecks, they just have lockjaw.

Oh, and with the sharks, DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR FISH UNLESS IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP FROM BEING BITTEN!!!!!!!!

People who give up their fish at the first sign of a shark are encouraging them to associate humans as a food source. Fight the shark of with quick jabs of the spear. Let them know you're the alpha predator and they'll leave.

Use your fish as a parachute. Only let them go in very bad circumstances. AKA multiple large bulls or aggressive tigers.:wink:

Good luck, and have fun.

And, get a GoPro because the close shark passes make good dramatic video!!!

300# mono is pretty stiff. The only things I use it for are shock leaders for high-speed trolling wahoo, hand lines, & hoops on lobster snare sticks. It does not wind well on small diameter reels.

Reactions: STB
The kinks never end w/ me here I spooling my new fly reel.

Used a pencil though the reel techinic and simply rolled it of as I reeled the reel.

Managed to roll estimated 80’ of 1.8mm extra strong cord.initialley I purchased the cord to tie my new shooting slings wishbones.
?1. can the shokecord inbetween JBL nylon line and reel line be longer than a pencil? I have this rubber. 1/2" inside diameter

Will reuse the orginale 15’ JBL nylon shoot line attached to new removable shokecord

Which is tied to reel

don’t get me wrong I like the size and power of this weapon (yet to compare the amber slings to the old blue).even w/ just the 15’ shoot line I shot decent 20+” fish. Now w/ a reel I ready to step up to 40”.

Here’s the stuff I have been attempting to make work

Securing new reel to barrel almost complete 90% done usable as is final stages lace front of reel to barrel then cinch reel is none removable.

Plan to use both reel and floatline w/ float.

Just rolled the new shot line onto the reel and apparently it kinked. First planned larger fish will be surface fish like Maui.

the blue steel is yet to be unrolled, first is the floatline however the string is 3/16” and my rubber is inside diameter ½” string won’t fit inside the rubber tube.

What do you Guy’s think ?

Attachments

• kinked shooting line.jpg
    kinked shooting line.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 222

Back
Top Bottom