New Member & Request for Advice/Info Re: Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! My name is Kellie and I am fairly new to the dive world - open water, enriched air certified. I've completed around 30 dives in various locations - Cozumel, Belize, Cabo, Florida, etc. I'm looking for advice regarding an upcoming trip to Thailand. I'll be there the first week of December, flying into Bangkok. I understand Thailand is amazing diving. What would you suggest for someone like me? My diving friends suggested that I reach out to you all:)

Hello! Welcome to Scubaboard! Dive right in the water is fine.

May I suggest that you go to this area of the Scubaboard forum and if you don't see what you're looking for, by all means, post again, post often.

Thailand

Also, feel free to express yourself and talk diving with us in Basic Scuba Discussions or anywhere else you're so inclined.

Koh Tao & Koh Phi Phi , amazing dive sites.

Koh Tao is possibly (not 100% sure) is the most popular site in Thailand.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Kellie. Do as ChiilyinCanada stated.
Thanks for coming onboard.

Besides, Koh Tao diving isn't all that unless you get out to Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock.

Hello! My name is Kellie and I am fairly new to the dive world - open water, enriched air certified. I've completed around 30 dives in various locations - Cozumel, Belize, Cabo, Florida, etc. I'm looking for advice regarding an upcoming trip to Thailand. I'll be there the first week of December, flying into Bangkok. I understand Thailand is amazing diving. What would you suggest for someone like me? My diving friends suggested that I reach out to you all:)
For good diving you should get yourself to Phuket. Lots of cheap flights from Don Meung (DMK) To Phuket with air Asia, lion air, and nok air. From Khao Lak, about one hours drive north of Phuket you can find a ton of operators. The Similan islands and Richeleau Rock are the places to go. There are lots of short liveaboards for reasonable price. I did a liveaboard with “seabees” that was 3 days, 2 nights, 10 dives in total. Really enjoyable and easy to fit into a trip!

Hello drk5036! I did a search for Thailand and read your response to Kellie. I am heading to Thailand for the last two weeks of December, and I am interested in doing a liveaboard in the Smilian islands. Is it possible to book in advance? Or do I need to go to Phuket first and book there? Do you remember the name of the company that you did your liveaboard with?
I got a few giude books on Thailand but none have liveaboard company names, and this will be my first time, so I don't know the logistics of booking one.

Thanks so much!
Sharon

I am heading to Thailand for the last two weeks of December, and I am interested in doing a liveaboard in the Smilian islands. Is it possible to book in advance? Or do I need to go to Phuket first and book there?
You can book in advance. The boat operators usually have websites or FB sites, although it can be tough figuring out who offers what when. I think a better option is to book through one of the dive shops. The prices are the same as if you book direct with the boat (the boat operators realize they need the shops to stay in business to keep up the supply of divers, so won't undercut them on pricing) and a knowledgeable shop owner will help you choose a boat and trip that suits you. I've used @stevenl, who posts regularly in the Thailand subforum, to book two liveaboard trips to the Similans. His site is Diving Phuket and Similans Thailand with Phuket dash Scuba dot Com, scuba diving Phuket and Similans Thailand. BTW, I can recommend him as an instructor as well. He took my good friend through OW (and later AOW) and I like how he teaches.

Hello drk5036! I did a search for Thailand and read your response to Kellie. I am heading to Thailand for the last two weeks of December, and I am interested in doing a liveaboard in the Smilian islands. Is it possible to book in advance? Or do I need to go to Phuket first and book there? Do you remember the name of the company that you did your liveaboard with?
I got a few giude books on Thailand but none have liveaboard company names, and this will be my first time, so I don't know the logistics of booking one.

Thanks so much!
Sharon
Glad you saw the post! I would definitely book in advance to make sure you’re not shut out. I booked with Seabees through there website. I thought it was good and reasonably priced. I liked our dive guide. I don’t have much of a basis to compare it to however, it was my only Liveaboard experience! There website is here: Diving in Thailand | Scuba Dive Tours & Holidays in Thailand

also, you can use something like liveaboard.com to find and book. I would just do a little bit of searching about a given liveaboard first, because I’m not sure the reviews are really reflective of the products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom