Have ScubaBoard's SurfGF threads changed how you plan to dive?

Will I change my diving after reading these two threads?

• I'm really going to consider (or already do) longer SS's and slow final ascents!

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • I'm happy with my dive safety without long SS's/slow final ascents; I don't plan to change a thing.

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • I really don't understand what is being discussed in those threads.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I have, or plan to consider a dive computer with SurfGF functionality that I can monitor at dive end

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ya need a fifth option - Did not read the threads.
Umm...how do I say this without being snarky?

The question read, "Will I change my diving after reading these two threads?"

It would seem that this survey does not apply in your case.
But thanks for your comment. I'm sure others were thinking the same thing...

Option 2 can be chosen for two quite different reasons:

2a: I'm happy with my dive safety and don't really plan to change a thing because I'm already extending my safety stops and ascending real slow from my safety stop
2b: I'm happy with my dive safety and don't really plan to change a thing because I can't be bothered and everything seems to work fine as it is

Which of the two were you thinking of?

Thanks, @Storker . I'll tweak the survey to make 2b more obvious.

EDIT: Done, thanks!

The SurfGF talk has sounded interesting but my dive comp is still a simple GF90-ish Hollis DG03 puck, so..., I dive nitrox, shallow, don't push it, and come up slow. I think it makes a difference.

I make the ascent a bit of a game. How well can I hover horizontal at 5', 3', the surface. In waters free of boats.... It does discourage a mid dive sneak and peak for navigation. And is boring if done mid water, which also makes me wonder if big sharkie might be about.

SB has definitely changed my diving. It taught me:
- GF, and that my dive comp is GF90-ish :eek:, (Edited to fix GF. Thanks Jay, and ScubaDada on Z+)
- Frog/reverse, horizontal trim, lung ascent/descent
- BP/W basics.
- Sidemount basics. (via a number of mentioned sites)
- Smattering of tech and rebreather preview knowledge.

Reading scubaboard has exposed me to a lot of things I didn’t know. Most of it is advanced in nature and mostly obsessed about by the geeky tech minded types, at least that’s my take on it. In my real world diving nothing has really changed.
Everything I read here pretty much remains abstract.
Some of the long discussions about GF’s, M values, MOD’s and all the other code discussions make my eyes glaze over, then I get pissed that I wasted so much time reading it and could have been doing something more productive.

long discussions about GF’s, M values, MOD’s and all the other code discussions make my eyes glaze over, then I get pissed...

Just don't make me give back my Freedom Plate!!!
:rofl3:

Well the poll differs from the thread title (but I get the intent).

Answering the thread title, the answer would be no. There are some good discussions for sure. However they are often sometimes devalued by a few people talking nonsense, and using silly or rare example to justify the POV that person is desperate to hammer home

Additional failure point is the most overused justification (coming from a materials background)

Just because a product or technique gains traction within the SB universe doesn't mean it's the most popular or relevant in the real world

But threads can be a valuable learning tool if they get people to consider the way that they currently dive and to think about alternatives, after all none of us stop learning no matter the level of our experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom