Great White Shark Incident @ Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still remember watching, many, many years ago, the "behind the scenes" footage of an episode in one of BBC's many excellent nature series. They were showing orcas hunting sea lions, even beaching themselves to get to the pups before thrashing out into the water with a sea lion pup in their jaws. The cameraman was floating in knee- to thigh-deep water, shooting the whales as they came in for another piece of food. Wearing a black wetsuit. I was, like, "how the HECK can you trust that you don't look just a little too much like a sea lion??" I mean, even if the whale spits you out because you don't taste right, you're pretty much screwed.

My thinking is the shark needs dental implants.

Big porcelain veneers??

sharks-area-lot-friendlier-without-sharp-teeth-shark-week-26096427.png

Worked for my dad on me so seems legit that it would work on a shark!

Idea for surfers, assuming the sharks made it past highschool...? :D

cdf5ac95ee418790cef5c695d41353ec.jpg

I still remember watching, many, many years ago, the "behind the scenes" footage of an episode in one of BBC's many excellent nature series. They were showing orcas hunting sea lions, even beaching themselves to get to the pups before thrashing out into the water with a sea lion pup in their jaws. The cameraman was floating in knee- to thigh-deep water, shooting the whales as they came in for another piece of food. Wearing a black wetsuit. I was, like, "how the HECK can you trust that you don't look just a little too much like a sea lion??" I mean, even if the whale spits you out because you don't taste right, you're pretty much screwed.
I assume being mammals they may have better eyesight, on the other hand once locked on the pup I can see how it would be easy to end up as bycatch.

@drbill
The question is - What precaution did you instigate to create an immunity from a GWS attack ?

SDM

I took no precautions. I had faith that I was not on its menu. Of course the poor visibility that day may have proven otherwise.

@drbill
You are certainly a great example for the beginning divers and others who visit the
Catalina a Dive Park.

What did you tell the on lookers who got out of the water and were setting on the wall high a dry because of GWS roaming the park ?

Perhaps " I fear no shark for I am dr bill ?"

I would have been one who was high and dry
I am curious as I suspect others are why enter the water with a GWS is on patrol ?

SDM

Sam, I'm a marine biologist and videographer and wanted to get video if possible. When I went in, they hadn't closed the dive park so there were others in the water. They closed it while I was under. A few folks did comment that "Only you would still be in the water).

I have had other encounters (although from a distance) with GWS here and have dived with many different species of sharks around the world.

There are more GWS in our waters today (and elsewhere) due in part to the increase in their marine mammal prey and the protected status of the species. There was a tagged 13 ft female GWS that passed by the dive park with regularity last year. Encounters will likely increase for divers.

@drbill
You are certainly a great example for the beginning divers and others who visit the
Catalina a Dive Park.

What did you tell the on lookers who got out of the water and were setting on the wall high a dry because of GWS roaming the park ?

Perhaps " I fear no shark for I am dr bill ?"

I would have been one who was high and dry
I am curious as I suspect others are why enter the water with a GWS is on patrol ?

SDM

Been to Catalina Two Harbors many times, usually snorkeling. What I liked to do is swim along the shore, then cross the channel to the marker and snorkel Harbor Reef. But it always made me nervous crossing the channel. It is deeper water and you are just a shadow on the surface, in a wetsuit - just like the seals that swim all over there. Emerald Cove is my favorite anchorage there.

@drbill
I vividly recall your post several years ago about the time there was a GWS roaming the dive park. All the divers exited the water.
You entered the water to photograph and document a GWS in the dive park

SDM

Sam, a clarification. When I went in the dive park was still open and there were many divers in the water. They closed it after I submerged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom