Using Nitrox Analyzer for Repeated Measurements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver4242

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If I'm using a Nitrox analyzer (Analox O2EII Pro) to analyze several tanks in sequence, I understand that I should only make sure I'm at 20.9 for the first tank, and not change or reset the analyzer in between, correct? Should I be doing something else? It seems the reading climbs with each tank even though I follow this procedure.

That is what I do, otherwise you have to be sure you have completely flushed the gas by the cell.

You can double check by going back to the first cylinder and measuring it a second time, or finishing with a cylinder of air to confirm.

The analyzers seem to approach max reading almost exponentially.

It quickly gets close but if you leave it on (at a shop that has a firm attachment rather than hand held) you will see it slowly ticks up a few times. So the reading may wind up at 32.6 rather than the 32.2 or 32.3 it first appears as. You may be seeing this same effect if you keep reading for the same length of time on a series of tanks without going back to 20.9. in between.

Right, there's definitely residual gas in the analyzer, which is why I'm not resetting to 20.9 and it doesn't have a chance to come down naturally. This is a rental shop so we might analyze 3-4 tanks in a row within a span of a few minutes (doing log notations in between analyzing).

Yeah, I have this analyzer. I calibrate at the beginning and bump through all the tanks.

If there is a reason i want to recalibrate, (i.e. not my analyzer, think the adjustment dial might have been bumped, etc) I always take off the little plastic bump and kind of shake it around. I don't like to calibrate with air as I won't trust the source to be a realiable control.

However, If i'm ever concerned/suspect the analyzer isn't accurate, I will put it on an air tank and a 100% O2 tank to test.

The way that oxygen analyzers work is by turning a small fuel source into energy. The more oxygen, the more energy, in a linear curve. But, over time the amount of fuel is less as it is being consumed, so while it is still making more energy as there is more oxygen, the total amount of energy it makes for the same concentration of oxygen will change.

But the sensors are designed to last for 1 year, and many will continue working for more than 1 year, so the amount of electricity generated for oxygen content should not change appreciably over the course of a few hours. And there is a risk of not flushing with ambient air sufficiently, and accidentally calibrating back to air, while the sensor has some nitrox floating around it, so I would not calibrate during the time that you have the sensor in your possession.

If I set an analyzer down, and was far enough away that I could not reasonably be certain no one had fiddled with it, then I would re-calibrate.

But, I also don't bother writing down the digits after the decimal when analyzing, I round... if I get a result further than 1-2% from expected, I would double check with a buddy's analyser or take the time to really recalibrate carefully, but as long as it is close, it's just confirming what the shops analyser on the fill bank says.

The most important is not to stop at oxygen, and follow up with CO. Those sensors are calibrated annually, and many people skip that calibration and just confirm it's working by breathing into it. That's more of a "go/no go" test, and it's designed to keep you safe from a fatal dose of CO, and the breathing check probably works fine. That is, a 1ppm result is not fatal, and the breathing check might not keep the unit calibrated to the point where it accurately detects to 1ppm. But, it should keep it accurate enough that if your gas has 20ppm, then it alerts as something close to 20ppm, say 19ppm, and that's good enough to let you know when you have a fatal amount of CO present.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom