Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok great so the ones that can lie completely flat? would you say you could fit smd reel spare mask snorkel and small torch in them?

I actually have the large bellows pockets and could not fit all that (and comfortably access them wearing drygloves) in anything smaller or flatter.

I dove my suit again yesterday, and I think the slight restriction I feel when frog kicking may be partly caused by the PU crutch reinforcement. It is a very stiff piece of fabric in an area where flexibility is needed. I can't really find anything to blame with the cut. I can for example sit down easily, thus the inseam length seems correct. But I am not a tailor. Based on my experience now, I recommend everyone to follow Seaskins own recommendation to not order unnecessary extra patches.

I recommend everyone to follow Seaskins own recommendation to not order unnecessary extra patches.

I wonder what a suit with back/shoulder/crotch/knee reinforcement vs one that has no PU on it looks like after a few hundred bp/w harness dives.

If you started to see wear in any particular spot, could you just aqua seal a thin neoprene patch on the outside in just the wear area? Asking for a friend.

I wonder what a suit with back/shoulder/crotch/knee reinforcement vs one that has no PU on it looks like after a few hundred bp/w harness dives.

I'd expect it to look pretty good. The trilaminate Seaskin uses is very strong. Most drysuits don't have such reinforcements, even those made of softer/thinner fabrics. Typically seams fail way before laminate is abraded.
In my other suit I don't have much wear in bp/w or harness area. I have started to develop wear marks and pinholes in somewhat unexpected locations like inner forearms and around p-valve reinforcement patch. But that is santi emotion fabric which is quite weak to begin with.

If you started to see wear in any particular spot, could you just aqua seal a thin neoprene patch on the outside in just the wear area? Asking for a friend.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. But, I would probably try to get some material that is the same or similar to the trilam material itself, rather than using neoprene.

When I got a small cut in my Waterproof trilam, my local shop had an old, dead trilam drysuit laying around. They cut some small pieces of material out of it and gave them to me. I used that to patch it from the inside. You can't even see that it was ever damaged (from the outside).

Typically seams fail way before laminate is abraded.

That's what I thought. I expect my Nova to require repairs in other places before these areas require any attention, however, I did not really consider the flexibility issue when ordering. These reinforcements were so cheap that I thought 'why not' for peace of mind. My harness is very stiff compared to some others I've seen and I want 500 rec dives out of this suit.

I must say that I had not a single thought about flexibility issues when trying the suit on or diving it, so anyone considering these options should not be under the impression that it is that big of a deal either.

Since the Nova fabric is not breathable anyway, and the back and shoulder patches are in places that remain fairly static during a dive, I'd still recommend it if you want the suit to be just that bit tougher. I see it as a nice middle path between those plastic bag type suits and the full on cave cordura heavyweights.

I also think the kevlar knee pads are great. There's this one dive spot where the entry is via a rock ledge, and when the tide hits it right, kneeling on it is really the best way to wait in line to get out and take fins off. With these knee pads it feels like you can do this daily for a decade, but with bare knees I'd be worried. I'd go for them unless you do 100% boat diving where you'd never touch anything with your knees.

I have no idea how many dives I have on my Nova but no reinforcements and no wear.
What # would you guess? (Roughly)

That's what I thought. I expect my Nova to require repairs in other places before these areas require any attention, however, I did not really consider the flexibility issue when ordering. These reinforcements were so cheap that I thought 'why not' for peace of mind. My harness is very stiff compared to some others I've seen and I want 500 rec dives out of this suit.

I must say that I had not a single thought about flexibility issues when trying the suit on or diving it, so anyone considering these options should not be under the impression that it is that big of a deal either.

Since the Nova fabric is not breathable anyway, and the back and shoulder patches are in places that remain fairly static during a dive, I'd still recommend it if you want the suit to be just that bit tougher. I see it as a nice middle path between those plastic bag type suits and the full on cave cordura heavyweights.

I also think the kevlar knee pads are great. There's this one dive spot where the entry is via a rock ledge, and when the tide hits it right, kneeling on it is really the best way to wait in line to get out and take fins off. With these knee pads it feels like you can do this daily for a decade, but with bare knees I'd be worried. I'd go for them unless you do 100% boat diving where you'd never touch anything with your knees.

What reinforcements did you get?

How are the attached boots? I understand the benefits of the neo socks and rock boots, don't need those benefits and the added complications that also go with them. On other suits I have had socks and attached boots, like the attached boots better. They had a nice Velcro wrap around the ankle that locks the boot onto the foot. I don't see the ankle wrap, do they fit good without coming off your feed during a dive? I guess the question is if they are a tight fit like a normal dive bootie or if they are a sloppy fit for easy donning and doffing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom