New or service my Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik C.

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an 11 year old Scuba Pro MK 11 regulator. 350-375 warm water dives, never serviced, still functions fine.
Question: Should I service this ($130-175) or move up to a new reg? I was looking at a 2018 Aqua Lung Titan, $399 total cost. I’m not worried about the $, more curious if the MK 11 is an “oldie but goodie” and needs to be saved, or is the “new stuff” better?
Anyone?

If it was mine, I would just keep diving with it until it failed to see how long it would take before something went bad. (I dive with a pony so no big deal if a total failure occurred at depth)

Unless you really have your heart set on getting something new, you should get it serviced and keep using that regulator. It's a good regulator and will last a long time if you rinse it well after diving and get it serviced more than once every 11 years.

I'm still using my 40+ year old ScubaPro MK5 / 109. Breathes as good as it ever did. I overhaul my own regs but I only do the MK5 every 10 years. Not because it is giving me any problems, just that, well its been 10 years. YMMV

J35oui.jpg

The two regs you have picked are very similar in IP stability over the range of tank pressures. I get what you are saying about the value of a $150 service vs a new reg set.
If it were me, I'd only change if I were upgrading to an environmentally sealed Titan. Otherwise, there's zero benefit. As others have said, and I concur, you can dive a well-cared-for first stage for 30 years.
Both regs are solid. The price you will pay, actually, is in your happiness with the second stages that come with the firsts.
Aqualung comes with a more delicate plastic, and more important, finer tolerances in the Venturi sleeve that traps sand. I'd stick with the Scubapro, myself.
The ScubaBoard-popular Deep 6 is environmentally sealed, and is also stable. Tough call.

Amazing. Begs the question as to why Padi recommend frequent servicing so much. @Erik. C well done on getting yr moneis worth- if yr happy with that set ( I bought a new Scubapro set last year) why change? K

Are there any new 'features' out there on a new reg that you would find useful? Why the Titan? Check out the MK17 :wink:

Otherwise I think there is nothing wrong at all with a reg that age if it is taken care of, which in my opinion requires that service.

Do you - or should I say will you - have the service done at a Scubapro Dealer? None in my area are also Aqualung delears as you will need both. Esp. Aqualung as they have tighter control over their parts - often only thru their dealer network.

A decent upgrade - keeping your seconds could be: Scubapro MK17 EVO - $334

Or the best Scubaoro 1st: Scubapro Mark 25 EVO - 394.

EVO is their newer Environmental seal.

mk-11 is a very good 1st stage, if all you are doing is diving warm water. It is designed as a light travel, warm water only regulator, not much to upgrade. if you are wanting to move to colder water diving then an upgrade might be worth considering.

But why did you go 11 years without servicing? Most manufacturers have moved to recommendations for 2 year/75-100 dive service intervals but 11 years is pretty out there; this is life support equipment, you really want to take a chance like that?

I’ve dived a Mk11 in cold water for years. No issue at all. Great performing solid performer. Only downside is the high cost of the service kit.

Back
Top Bottom