Missing Diver Kailua-Kona - Solo, Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will note that just because a body is chewed up by a shark does not mean the shark is the cause of death. Diver could die of some other cause and then the shark finds it. Not saying that I think that is what happened. Just that this cannot be ruled out based on what we know

Well, I could swear I’d seen scuba mentioned somewhere in one of the news articles, but now I can’t find it.

You may have heard it on local radio or tv, those media types are notorious about changing a story without making any retractions if wrong previously.

No worries, I just like to get the story straight because reporters seem to lump all scuba, freediving, snorkeling, and sometimes swimming, as the same activity and write accordingly.

Bob

You may have heard it on local radio or tv, those media types are notorious about changing a story without making any retractions if wrong previously.

No worries, I just like to get the story straight because reporters seem to lump all scuba, freediving, snorkeling, and sometimes swimming, as the same activity and write accordingly.

Bob

Not to mention that they often refer to our tanks as "oxygen" tanks

Could you point me to the information that he was on scuba, as I have not seen it yet.

Bob
The original article said police had recovered "diving equipment" in the water believed to be his. The word "scuba" was not used. I read it to imply scuba, news articles are often vague and get a lot of details wrong.

I guess we will have to wait and see if any more details come up over time. Now if the dreaded "oxygen tank" had been mentioned, as @JamesBon92007 brought up, we would all know he was on SCUBA.

Bob

I did a night solo there a few years ago. I started before dusk and continued into the night.

But I never turned on my lights. I found it fascinating to swim around the reef alone in the darkness.

Then it occurred to me that I could be shark bait in the darkness, and I got pretty nervous. I terminated the dive.

I always feel a lot more vulnerable at the surface than at depth. If this guy was freediving and spearing he would have been spending a lot more time at the surface and possibly had fish with him.

I like that Alii Dr coast area for night diving, but the thought of tiger sharks is hard to suppress. Fortunately never encountered anything bigger than a small white tip, but I guess usually the shark encounters you. What a way to go.

Well, I could swear I’d seen scuba mentioned somewhere in one of the news articles, but now I can’t find it. Maybe it was edited out of later iterations of the news reports(and/or previous SB posts) or maybe I made the same mistaken assumption as Steve C. If so, mea culpa.

the article refers to "diving" and "diving equipment." usually we don't associate "diving equipment" with non-SCUBA activities.

Back
Top Bottom