No More Plastic Grocery Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a soy bag I picked up in Loreto in August with a cute play on words :) It was not from a grocery store--I think it came with a T-shirt.

WP_20191004_002[1].jpg

Sorry I think america's response is ludicrous. Some one cites the behavior in another part of the sorkd and we think we can contribute in fixing it with in our own borders. why do we use plastic . To begin with it was a fix for things like glass at recreational areas and injuries when stepped on. It was cheaper than recycling the glass to be re sanatized prior to being refilled and sent out again. Environmentalists demanded a stop of wasted fuel and resources to transport glass containers whose piece count was relatively small. Plastic answered all those concerns. If you ban plastic then what ????? return to glass and ER visits for stepping on a broke container on the beach. what about canned drinks. what lines them?? You would be better off pushing biodegradable plastic bags than to abolish them. But then those kind break when carried and you have to double or quadruple up the bags to carry the groceries. You need to develope a solution before you make things worse. I suspect that since that has not happened the huggers use plan B which is alwauys the extreem and say abolish all plastic. What do we do in cities like SAN FRAN if all those plastic needles now become broken glass. How much will that change your automobiles structure. And if by chance you can come up with a replacement will it cost more than the cost of the downsides of the new or older product. Example Ask a hugger what is an aceptable source of energy. THERE IS NONE THAT MEETS THEIR STANDARDS. Nuclear is no good and I hate to say it but that may become a truth. However That possible truth is the child of stopping the construction of better, more efficient and safer plants. Who stopped that from happening????? the very ones that are complaining today about energy. . The US contributes as reported very little to the worlds plastic crisis. As such we can not fix it. Ther eal question is If the US completely eliminated all puse of plastic ,,,,, what would change on the bg picture???

per a TA thread, Chedraui and Soriana are eliminating plastic take out bags in favor of 9p cloth bags or free cardboard boxes. They did this in Austin a few years ago, so I'm used to it, but it may be an adjustment for others.

Those that use them .... or do they dispose of them when they get home and they are no longer needed???

Last time I was in Europe you had to buy the plastic bags, as a result people saved and just reused them each time

Don't they use cloth bags in Texas? I have some from Mexico that I use here in California.
they have several options from cloth to some kind of synthetic materials etc. but when you you need a dozen bags to take out your groceries and the bags are 5 or more a bag. the answer becomes obvious. use plastic and toss them. we take them home, fill it with used cat litter and trash them.

Don't they use cloth bags in Texas? I have some from Mexico that I use here in California.
It's an individual choice thing. The stores all furnish plastic bags, but I take my cloth ones - most of which I got at a thrift store for a buck each. I even used the big one to carry my dive skin to & from the boat in Cozumel. Then I washed them all as I do now and then anyway.

the bags are 5 or more a bag
Stores here also sell the reusable bags for a buck each. I do end up with some plastic bags for the fruit and some others, but I take them to the recycling drop at Walmart or my grocery.

It's an individual choice thing. The stores all furnish plastic bags, but I take my cloth ones - most of which I got at a thrift store for a buck each. I even used the big one to carry my dive skin to & from the boat in Cozumel. Then I washed them all as I do now and then anyway.

Stores here also sell the reusable bags for a buck each. I do end up with some plastic bags for the fruit and some others, but I take them to the recycling drop at Walmart or my grocery.

Yes I think many have reusable bags. some pile them up at home and then they become homes for infestation of bugs. I saw one woman with a cart of a dozen or so of reusable bags. I assumed she kept them in her garage or somewhere they were not new looking. but as the clerk started filling them and roaches came out of them. She toted these bags through out the store. Then she left and her car looked hike a horders primary stash. Im sure this is only a statistically freak occurance but just the same,,,,,,,,, bags are meant for taking things out of the store. There is no free ride in any solution.

Today (Friday Oct 11) mEGA had no plastic bags and I had to buy a cloth one ($80 mx) Just last Sunday they still had plastic bags The concierge here told us that Chedraui (on melgar) no longer has plastic bags

Today (Friday Oct 11) mEGA had no plastic bags and I had to buy a cloth one ($80 mx) Just last Sunday they still had plastic bags The concierge here told us that Chedraui (on melgar) no longer has plastic bags
Can you still buy plastic bags? We will need a few and we usually use the grocery bags. I guess single use is better than double use.

Back
Top Bottom