How much weight do you carry (warm water)?

How much weight do you carry (warm water)?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

athigunk

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know how much weight do you guys need to perform your dives. Thank you in advance!

Conditions:
- warm water
- AL80 single tank
- in a 3mm wetsuit
- ONLY the weight from your weight belt/pockets PLUS weight from BC (backplate)
- disregard weight from tank, regulators, camera, etc.

Example:
1lb (AL backplate) + 2 x 2lb (lead) = 5lbs

Steel freedom plate, small. 0 extra weight. I guess the plate weighs 1.5 kg, so just over 3 pounds?

Hi, I would like to know how much weight do you guys need to perform your dives. Thank you in advance!

Conditions:
- warm water
- AL80 single tank
- in a 3mm wetsuit
- ONLY the weight from your weight belt/pockets PLUS weight from BC (backplate)
- disregard weight from tank, regulators, camera, etc.

Example:
1lb (AL backplate) + 2 x 2lb (lead) = 5lbs

From the responses so far, I suspect people who answered "< 3.00 lbs/" did not understand the question. You are asking for TOTAL weight, not just lead. In other words, INCLUDING the weight of the backplate.

I use a steel backplate plus a couple of pounds of lead (so that's around 8 lbs. total) when I dive a 3 mm full suit and Al 80.

I have a SS backplate that weighs 6 pounds so i always start with that by default.
With a single AL80 with no wet-suit i dont add any weight

Only a range of 3-7lbs, in half lb increments? Seems like some odd choices to me.

From the responses so far, I suspect people who answered "< 3.00 lbs/" did not understand the question. You are asking for TOTAL weight, not just lead. In other words, INCLUDING the weight of the backplate.

Well, he stipulated lead plus backplate. Most of my weight is wrapped up in an LP108 steel tank. I don't use any lead (with a steel tank), and my apeks aluminum plate is 1.7lbs. I'm sure like most that the weight is very situational dependent. Maybe it's cold and I need to add a wetsuit or drysuit? Maybe I'm traveling and can only rent aluminum tanks etc...

Edit: Whoops, I didn't see that he also stipulated al80 and 3mm wetsuit. I guess I'll unvote. I do use al80's when traveling but I don't own any 3mm wetsuits so I'm not really sure.

6' 185lbs

7 lead 5 plate = 12 lbs total

3-2 shorty, Hybrid BC, 5'11" 225lbs,

Typically, 3lbs for the tank, and five for me. All the other negative crap i carry (aside from the general attitude :wink:) probably an additional 2 lbs

Back
Top Bottom