Why give primary instead of alternate regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the one who you plan the dive with, the one who helps you a little with the zipper, straightens out your shoulder strap so you can get into your harness, who gives you a hand if you need one, who helps spotting cool stuff just like you help them spotting cool stuff, who keeps you company when you decide to let the frantically finning DM go, and whom you grab a beer with after the dive while chatting about the dive.

Do you have more than one of those at the time?
That’s a good description of a dive buddy! Makes me think I should use one from time to time. Although good shore support covers a number of those things.
Regarding the issue at hand, the idea raised earlier that for people in standard rec configuration, an OOA diver should grab the primary right out of someone’s mouth because it’s one known to work (whereas the easily accessible bright yellow octopus on the bright yellow hose might not work) leaves me to make the following observation: the octopus is there for a reason. Grab it. If instead you tear my reg out of my mouth, that makes it too likely that I’m going to panic and have an issue. And I don’t want to be testing my octopus any more than you do. So, if you insist on mugging me, realize that I have two hands. One is going to grab my octopus, and put it in my mouth. The other is going to grab my dive knife. Think carefully about what will happen next to you as the mugger if my first breath isn’t perfect. Either ask politely for my primary, or just grab the designated octopus without worrying about asking.

My seven foot primary hose is yellow. My backup is right under my chin where I can actually get to it without using my hands. If someone grabbed the reg from my mouth I will have only been without air for a couple of seconds before I'm breathing again. There is no telling how long the OOA diver has gone without a breath. Take my primary, please.

So, if you insist on mugging me, realize that I have two hands. One is going to grab my octopus, and put it in my mouth. The other is going to grab my dive knife.

Wait, what are you gong to do with the dive knife?

if you insist on mugging me, realize that I have two hands. One is going to grab my octopus, and put it in my mouth. The other is going to grab my dive knife. Think carefully about what will happen next to you as the mugger if my first breath isn’t perfect.
IOW, you're threatening violence with a lethal weapon.

Charming. I believe I understand why you're diving solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom