Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they say that they hinder movement slightly, would you say thats true? If not ill probably get them.

The PU patches make the already stiff fabric less flexible. Does it matter? Who knows? One thing to consider is that they only protect from direct abrasion. Drysuit fabric usually wears out in areas where it can't flex evenly. Thus if you have a patch, it makes a potential point of failure around its edges. This is very typical for softer laminates around p-valve reinfocements or even regular seam tapes. I don't say that the Seaskin PU patches are a failure point, but it is not impossible. I would avoid larger PU reinforcements in areas where flexibility is important, like shoulders.
I ordered my suit without logos, and it came out without logos. The knee pads don't have the "kevlar" stitching either.

Also, I have ZERO regrets on getting the zippered pockets. My other drysuit has pockets with a velcro flap. I definitely prefer the zippered pockets. But, they are not as big as the biggest velcro flap option, so if you want bigger, the zippered pockets may not be the best choice.

What about getting two pockets, one zippered (the largest size they have) and a velcro flap pocket (largest size they have)?

Here is my play on your options, based on my own suit and choices

OK since youve all been so helpful ill just tell you what im going to order for some feedback:
Nova drysuit
+zip cover Yes
+ykk plastic zip Yes
+quick neck +extra seals Yes, silicone rocks
+standard warm neck Yes
+sitech oval cuff (ill be 100% using drygloves in cold water so no neopren over cuffs needed right?) Yes based on your dryglove need, SLAGGO otherwise
+dump valve DIR Yes
+Inflation valve patch Yes - can easily be removed but makes sense with light undergarments
+standard boot No - neoprene sock option is better in my opinion as you can easily turn the suit inside out to dry and just wear normal neoprene boots over it. I did have to buy a size bigger than my wetsuit boot though. That way, any wear on the boot does not impact your suit also
+kevlar knee pads Yes - Whilst I would never need this on my boat dives, I used these on my first dive kneeling on a rock ledge at the entry point of a shore dive, work a treat and you don't have to worry.
+pu crutch Yes, I got all harness-relevant PU reinforcements and I don't see why not, for some extra longevity
+pu shoulders Yes. Suggest the PU back too for the backplate etc.
+(pu elbows? cant think of a time when i last used my elbows/bumped them) No
+fully telescopic torso Yes - makes it much easier to get the neck seal on/off with the long torso, then tie it all down
+wide braces Not needed I think, I don't feel the narrow one's, but won't hurt
+glow patches Not my thing but sure
+change mat I've got a rubber mat from a car store that does a stellar job
+2 normale pockets (i like that they can lie completely flat and i dont have to much gear i use so size wise i think theyll be sufficient) I've got one 'flat pocket' for my spare mask and it is very low profile, but I highly recommend the expedition pocket on one side to hold DSMB and a bunch of other stuff without dramas. It's a really spacious pocket with an extra zipper in the flap also.
+2 computer strap patches Not my thing

that should be it what do you think of my selection what would you do differently?

Options I have that you don't list but recommend:

- Convenience zip with zip cover, handy for some toilet action during the SI without having to peel out of the thing
- Expedition pocket at least on one side, will go a long way to enable storage of extra items and get items off your bp/w
- no logos/stripes etc. as I think this makes the suit look a lot better
- Neoprene socks instead of boots
- PU back pad

Other stuff like the SiTech valves etc. probably don't make a difference, but I got them anyway as they seem standard on high end suits.

Good luck!

What about getting two pockets, one zippered (the largest size they have) and a velcro flap pocket (largest size they have)?

You can do that. As in, their ordering process does allow that. But, my OCD would never allow such asymmetry on my own suit. :D

Options I have that you don't list but recommend:

- Convenience zip with zip cover, handy for some toilet action during the SI without having to peel out of the thing
- Expedition pocket at least on one side, will go a long way to enable storage of extra items and get items off your bp/w
- no logos/stripes etc. as I think this makes the suit look a lot better
- Neoprene socks instead of boots
- PU back pad

Other stuff like the SiTech valves etc. probably don't make a difference, but I got them anyway as they seem standard on high end suits.

Good luck!

I thought about the convenience zip but tbh with a front zip suit i guess ill not get it. Just another zip that can leak break etc. I just stay in the suit open the zip an pee in a bottle does the trick.

I dont dive a proper backplate just because i dont need it. I dive a "normal" backinflste bc but changed the straps to harness style webbing. Thats why i dont think ill get the pu back.
Plus i dont like how it looks on the fotos on the website.

Expedition pocket is probably great but i like the option to lay the pockets flat which is only possible with the normal bellows. Smbs fit in there and i dont carry that much more. Maybe an extra torch or camera stuff and a couple of bolt snaps. I guess i wont need that large of a pocket

What about the slaggo cuffs? Seaskin says theyre not compatible with drygloves but obviously they are since sitech offers systems. But are they any good? When thinking of the oval system in comparison i guess i stiff ring would make more sense. Do you have the slaggo?

I would first try to decide which dryglove system you want to use and then choose ovals or slaggo accordingly. The recent (very interesting) 4th element ellipse works only with ovals. With drygloves installed, both are going to be stiff.

@taimen thanks a lot. I guess ill be getting the ovals then. I think with them being stiff might be better than the slaggo. and although theyre soft slaggos are still round and round rings are always a bit bulky imo

I would first try to decide which dryglove system you want to use and then choose ovals or slaggo accordingly. The recent (very interesting) 4th element ellipse works only with ovals. With drygloves installed, both are going to be stiff.

thanks a lot for the advice ill definitely be getting those :thumbsup:

Some systems like the Ultima will still make the oval rings stiff and round. If you want oval shaped system for drygloves, your options are Sitech Antares and 4e Ellipse AFAIK. Antares has quite bad reputation. I don't have personal experience with SLAGGO, but I'd think its advantage is flexibility when diving with wetgloves.
I had drygloves permanently glued to my Seaskin. But that is another story. For me in my environment that is the best dryglove system. Seaskin doesn't have this option so I ordered with basic latex seals (and the sleeve length was perfect with them). You can mount drygloves directly to QCS ovals without seals and get almost all the advantages that way too. Some dicussion about this can be found here:

Back
Top Bottom