Where would you go??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!

Bit of a general question here:

Soon I’ll be taking a couple of years off from my job to finish my degree online, so I’m pretty location independent (Canadian passport).

I’d like to anchor down for a while (a few months to a year) someplace that has good diving. I got my OW and advanced in koh tao a couple of years ago and enjoyed it a lot. If I were to find the right scene I think I’d like to progress up through the PADI courses.

By right scene I mean:

-A great, friendly, supportive dive school
-relatively inexpensive
-country/area that’s reasonably safe and has good internet and fitness facilities. Warm climate would be great too!

KT would fit all of these but why not go someplace new? I’m 35, and I’ve worked hard for years at a job I hate to be in this position, so I’d really like to enjoy the next two years... finishing school, getting back in shape, meeting great people, and spending a lot of time under water!

Any recommendations would be much appreciated, a country, region, or specific dive school, and why? If you had a couple of years to globe trot, budget between 50 and 80k, where would you go??

Also, if there’s another place on this site, or another site, where this post might receive more attention, let me know! I’m a rookie to these types of sites.

Thanks!!

I'm no expert on international immigration rules - but I have heard from others that you can run into issues with visas if you plan to live and study/work in a foreign country for an extended period of time.

Since you are Canadian, it might help to narrow down your choices by looking for places that are British territories or members of the Commonwealth of Nations.

I'm no expert on international immigration rules - but I have heard from others that you can run into issues with visas if you plan to live, study/work in a foreign country for an extended period of time.

Since you are Canadian, it might help to narrow down your choices by looking for places that are part of the British Empire/ Commonwealth of Nations.

Thanks Kathy, I think Most countries you can stay up to 90 days, and there are ways to extend that (visa runs to adjacent countries, become a student of some sort, etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom