Floaty feet with Mares Avanti Quattro Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freed

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving, am diving in Puget Sound, so water temps in the 48-55 range, and am having a problem with floaty feet in my Mares Ananti Quattro Plus fins. I've had the problem with both a 7mm wet suit and a drysuit, and have checked all the usual problems like air in my boots, etc. I've adjusted my trim various ways (including adding ankle weights) am still having the problem, and am wondering if I'm getting air in the fins boots. I see the boot has no holes for air to escape; what is your advice on drilling small holes in the bottom of the foot or the toe area?

The fins are not positively bouyant, although also not "heavy." It is probably more from your exposure suit and/or boots. One option is a pair of 1 or 2 pound ankle weights.

+1 what @JackD342 said. I have a set of these fins and they don't float so likely another issue. Drilling a few small holes in the toe area should not present any issue.

Also, what is the problem with floaty feet? Sometimes that helps with trim. My first drysuit was like that, but did not bother me when diving. It was just a little effort to get me feet under me to walk out from a shore dive. Ankle weights took care of that.

Another diver here with the Avanti Quattros. Love 'em. No problem what-so-ever with floaty feet.

Before drilling holes in your boots, I might suggest dipping your feet in the water while standing prior to putting your fins on. This should force any air out of your boots and let you know if it is air or just the buoyancy of your suit and/or boots.

Yeah, don't start drilling holes to release trapped air that I really doubt actually exists.

By toes I meant toes of the fin pocket not boots. I doubt air is trapped there though. If so it is easy to remedy in the water. get vertical and point your fins down.

Also, what is the problem with floaty feet?

Jack's right, any people go on crusades to find fins that are floaty enough to get their feet up, as it helps trim. You may want to have a buddy take a picture to see what it actually looks like in the water. What feels like floaty feet may be good trim, and just take some getting used to. If on the other hand you are going head down and feet up there is another issue that could be addressed by shifting your tank or moving weights around.

I've actually had a buddy suggest drilling holes in the bottom of my boots like he did so they'll drain when getting out of the water. No thanks. I can pour it out well enough when I take them off.

South Florida diver here with the same fins. Zero floating issues here and I wear a rash guard. So it’s got to be something with your exposure coverings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom