Why give primary instead of alternate regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

170cm / 70kg Drysuit with thick undergarment (Antarctica tested :D ) works like a charm with 5 foot hose

I stand 170cm (is that 5'8" in your units?) above ground and am quite happy with my 150cm (5') long hose.

I'm not very surprised that body size affects which hose length that fits best.

How do you route it?

How do you route it?
Down from my single 1st stage, under my right arm, across my chest somewhere between my diaphragm and my chest valve and then around my neck.

It's in yr Buddy check ! 17 dives an I know this! Both sets of regs WERE working when we got into the water.....or We Would Not of Got into The Water... k

Yeah, everything works until it doesn't. Note the past tense in your post.

There is only one reg that you 100% know to be working (and delivering safe gas) at the time donation is needed. It's also the one that is the quickest to deploy, and the one that can't have gotten displaced from whatever was holding it at the time of your buddy check.. And that is the one that is in your mouth.

The donating diver can go without gas for a minute or so. The OOG diver may be on the verge of drowning. They need gas NOW. The advantage of PD is that you instantly plug that OOG diver into a gas source that is 100% working and OK to breathe.

Down from my single 1st stage, under my right arm, across my chest somewhere between my diaphragm and my chest valve and then around my neck.

OK, that's probably why 5' is a better fit for you. No can light routing.

It's in yr Buddy check ! 17 dives an I know this! Both sets of regs WERE working when we got into the water.....or We Would Not of Got into The Water... k
Yes, and I agree, but it happens that there are some failure which will not be obvious on the surface. Ideally you check them at depth too.

However, all the ‘know it is working’ style arguments are kind of trying to compare typically incompetent users of one system with competent users of another. Unfortunately, on its own, changing system will not magically transform the people who were dragging their regs in the mud into competent divers.

No can light routing.
For me, that's the reason for choosing a 150cm long hose. No can light routing, no need to stow or unstow the hose in case of an S-drill or a gas share drill. Just a slight, short pull downwards on the section that lies across my chest after I've routed my hose and put the reg in my mouth.

Then....... I got told off on here fr practising a controlled ascent OOA, cos 'that has a risk' yea it has - the risk I might actually do it properly when I actually need ( or my buddy needs to) to. Failure of process is mostly unfamiliarity. Nothing wrong with our method or kit - just those who may use it. K

For me, that's the reason for choosing a 150cm long hose. No can light routing, no need to stow or unstow the hose in case of an S-drill or a gas share drill. Just a slight, short pull downwards on the section that lies across my chest after I've routed my hose and put the reg in my mouth.

Right, exactly. 7 feet if you have a can light, 5 feet if you don't.

Of course, sometimes I dive without my can light so I had to make a fake one out of PVC pipe instead of buying two hoses and changing them back and forth!

Back
Top Bottom