Rec Divemaster: any point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will echo the comments above, slightly
Pretend you go down the DM path...

You will pay for the DM course ($$$)
You will then need insurance (~$375-450/yr)
You will then spend your time diving in the shop recreational configuration and setting up OW students in rental gear and watching those students kneel... (lots and lots of your available diving time)

For that level of time and effort you could buy a set of doubles and take intro to tech (or GUE-F or cavern or something entry level-ish), and probably still have $$ left over.

While working with OW students in your DM course and afterward, your Instructor and LDS will insist that you use the gear they sell, similar to what the students will be using. You will likely not be allowed to wear any tech configuration. A DM is a lifeguard/babysitter, not a tech diver.

I would say that a good rescue course, which is a pre-req for DM, can be valuable no matter what type of diving you're interested in. I also think being current in CPR/1st Aid/O2 provider are also valuable. The rest of the DM program won't help you with tech diving, except in the case of building your confidence and watermanship.

I’ve seen OW instructors through my shop use Dive Rite BP/W, but it was the deluxe harness with all the quick releases and weight pockets on the harness belt. Definitely no long hoses at all I’ve seen, or continuous webbing harness.

DM in my area runs about $800ish, just for the course. Don’t know what extras are needed beyond that.

Also, would your shop make you pay for the DM class? Probably. They probably want the revenue from you doing the class.
Ding Ding Ding...

Follow the $$$

I'd certainly echo the rescue diver but also consider the self-reliant course once you have some more dives under your belt (requires a minimum of 100). These are mostly to give you more skills and confidence that will benefit you in any kind of diving, rather than making you a solo diver.

Excellent comments and perfect timing for me to read this. Thanks

The rest of the DM program won't help you with tech diving, except in the case of building your confidence and watermanship.

Confidence maybe, but not really justified. Watermanship? Not really. The minimum standards for a DM does sooooo little. I'll second what Bob said.

I would not guide anyone down the DM path unless you plan to be in some tropical location and herding tourists. Being a DM does NOT make you a better diver, for a fact. I have seen way too many "DMs" helping classes while they are on their knees and waving their sweet butterfly wing hands around. I went all the way down that path to instructor and found out that as much as I enjoyed helping folks learn to dive, I enjoyed actual diving more. It became too much like work and that sure as hell is not the reason I started diving for. I was talking to a guy the other day that was thinking about becoming a DM but not actually working and I told him that he was actually looking for the DM Merit Badge, so that he could strut around and say "HEY GUYS, I AM COOL AS HELL CAUSE I AM A DM!" Don't be that guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom