Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, read the whole thread and im for sure buying a Seaskin. Im sure on what im getting so no issues there;
One question concerning ordering. I want to use the suit for diving in germany (sometimes diving in frozen lakes often in winter 4C) im planning on using the k2 extreme by scubapro but im probably getting the 250g by seaskin as well but i also want to take it to the red sea for diving where ill probably wear shorts and a t shirt under the suit.
So heres my problem: besides diving im an athlete (i row at a high university level) due to an injury and then the following off season i gained a fair bit of weight. I now weigh about 105kg at 192cm usually im at 95kg roughly. Hearing that the suits are cut fairly tight im wondering if I should wait a couple of weeks until i lost my weight and im back to or almost back to normal an then order or use my current measurements as "extra allowance" :D. My problem is that weight fluctuations are normal for me and i want a suit thats i can always dive- thats not too tight or too baggy and that i can dive with "winter undergarment" and tshirt. I know thats a lot im asking but the k2 extreme is fairly slim since its not the usual wooly type of undergarment.

hope you guys have ideas on what i should do :)

(i was thinking of asking seaskin if i can order now and then send in the measurements when my drysuit is in line to be made - im guessing with a wait time of 8-9 weeks the wont start working on the suit right away as soon as they get my measurements)

best regards,
Simon
If weight fluctuates I would want the suit to fit when it at the normal upper end.

I would, I doubt it will really be all that much oversized and easier to fight the bubble than miss a dive because the suit doesn’t fit.

I don't know about the measurements question, but FYI the wait is more like 12 weeks...

Hearing that the suits are cut fairly tight im wondering if I should wait a couple of weeks until i lost my weight and im back to or almost back to normal an then order or use my current measurements as "extra allowance" :D

In your place I would measure and order right now.
It seems that taller and larger persons find their Seaskins (without extra allowances) tightly cut while smaller persons are really happy with theirs also in thick winter garments. YMMV of course, but Seaskins cut seems to behave like that. It is mtm, not bespoke afterall.
I am the same size as you, and I don't think fluctuating 10 kg (with athletic body type) makes that much difference in drysuit sizing. If you were in your "normal" weight, I would actually recommend taking a bit loose measurements or opting for the extra allowance.

Seaskin never replied to my emails asking what could be done for suit with tight lower half restricting frog kicks. I am willing to pay for possible alterations, but it seems they are not interested in providing that service. But to be honest, I can't expect such service with their price point and 12+ weeks order book.
But keeping this experience in mind, it will be easier to deal with a _slightly_ looser suit than a tight one.

I just want to weigh in that I had no frog kick issues down in the wet despite having a noticeably tight crotch (the cut, not the telescopic torso strap) when trying it on at home. Some comments here made me worry but it was fine.

Also, I actually left a note saying I want a tight cut as I won't dive heavy undergarments, I then became nervous because I re-added quite a bit of muscle in the few months of wait, worrying that certain bits like arms and chest will end up too tight, but there is plenty of room. A 10kg swing will do nothing, maybe a 20kg swing could cause trouble depending on where it is.

If you are athletic with a bigger biceps but skinny wrists, and option seals with a cuff, the arm of the drysuit will certainly be a bit of a 'tube', as it is wide from biceps to the big round cuff, so certainly not tight around the underarm. I wish it could be a bit more 'tailored' there. Maybe a non-cuff wrist seal would be, as they got forearm and wrist measurements, but I'd rather have the swappable silicone seals than a sleek drysuit sleeve.

Ok thanks a lot for the help! I guess ill order now but still ask if i have the option to send in new measurements. Ill just check in a couple of weeks if i find the changes to be drastic. I also dont worry that the suit will be too baggy but wasnt sure. I mainly put on weight around my belly and love handle area and a bit around the upper thigh/crutch section maybe lost a bit of circumference around the biceps but i dont think there will be anything too dramatic. Plus around the midsection the harness of the bc will keep it tucked in anyways.

OK since youve all been so helpful ill just tell you what im going to order for some feedback:
Nova drysuit
+zip cover
+ykk plastic zip
+quick neck +extra seals
+standard warm neck
+sitech oval cuff (ill be 100% using drygloves in cold water so no neopren over cuffs needed right?)
+dump valve DIR
+Inflation valve patch
+standard boot
+kevlar knee pads
+pu crutch
+pu shoulders
+(pu elbows? cant think of a time when i last used my elbows/bumped them)
+fully telescopic torso
+wide braces
+glow patches
+change mat
+2 normale pockets (i like that they can lie completely flat and i dont have to much gear i use so size wise i think theyll be sufficient)
+2 computer strap patches

that should be it what do you think of my selection what would you do differently?

OK since youve all been so helpful ill just tell you what im going to order for some feedback:
Nova drysuit
+zip cover yes
+ykk plastic zip yes
+quick neck +extra seals yes
+standard warm neck. Yes
+sitech oval cuff (ill be 100% using drygloves in cold water so no neopren over cuffs needed right?) yes
+dump valve DIR ?
+Inflation valve patch no
+standard boot no (for me at least I prefer neoprene socks)
+kevlar knee pads no
+pu crutch no
+pu shoulders no
+(pu elbows? cant think of a time when i last used my elbows/bumped them) no
+fully telescopic torso yes
+wide braces ~
+glow patches ~
+change mat ~
+2 normale pockets (i like that they can lie completely flat and i dont have to much gear i use so size wise i think theyll be sufficient) ~
+2 computer strap patches ~

that should be it what do you think of my selection what would you do differently?

Ok thanks a lot for the help! I guess ill order now but still ask if i have the option to send in new measurements. Ill just check in a couple of weeks if i find the changes to be drastic. I also dont worry that the suit will be too baggy but wasnt sure. I mainly put on weight around my belly and love handle area and a bit around the upper thigh/crutch section maybe lost a bit of circumference around the biceps but i dont think there will be anything too dramatic. Plus around the midsection the harness of the bc will keep it tucked in anyways.

From what I have heard, I would assume that they start cutting stuff for your suit pretty soon after the order. It just takes a while to get it done and finished.

In other words, I would not even consider submitting an order other than with my final measurements.

Besides the likelihood that they will already have started before you submit new measurements, you will then be in a position of having given them 2 sets of measurements and who knows which ones will have actually been used when you receive the suit.

Do everything you can to eliminate any possibility of them making a mistake. Give them only one set of measurements. Make sure all your measurements and your options choices are correct and final when you submit the order. Review EVERY detail (including name, phone number, address, email address, etc.) shown on your invoice when you receive it (within a week or so after submitting your order).

Their suits are less expensive than any other option I know of. But, it's still an expensive commitment. You want to do everything you can to ensure you get what you want - by doing everything you can to eliminate possibilities of mistakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom