Is have an AI feature on dive watch better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at an MK1 in the future for its GPS capability. Yes, I know it won't track me underwater, but I want to capture my coordinates immediately upon reaching the surface before current may make me drift too far from a DSMB that I will deploy just short of the surface.

I'm looking at an MK1 in the future for its GPS capability. Yes, I know it won't track me underwater, but I want to capture my coordinates immediately upon reaching the surface before current may make me drift too far from a DSMB that I will deploy just short of the surface.

I like that idea. I could totally see myself diving with a Garmin and either a Teric (on OC) or the Shearwaters on my rEvo.

Accurately capturing start and end positions of a dive would be nice. I have been trying to do that with the Subsurface-mobile Location Service on my phone, but the Android power-saving features seem to be constantly foiling me on that.

What worries me is the feeling that nags at me that Garmin introduced the Descent a while ago now and it seems like there have been no updates. I can't help wondering if it will soon prove to be an abandoned product idea. I really thought they would bring out a Mk 2 by now, with AI.

What worries me is the feeling that nags at me that Garmin introduced the Descent a while ago now and it seems like there have been no updates. I can't help wondering if it will soon prove to be an abandoned product idea. I really thought they would bring out a Mk 2 by now, with AI.

I've stopped updating my Shearwater Perdix AI. I thought I read that with the latest updates that you can't see the pressure of both cylinders at the same time. Mind you, I could be misinformed. I have no way of verifying this other through an update, as I don't know anyone who dives sidemount in my area that uses transmitters (very few sidemount divers to begin with).

If I am mistaken, someone correct me.

I'm actually hoping that all the MK1 needs is a software update or something.

I've stopped updating my Shearwater Perdix AI. I thought I read that with the latest updates that you can't see the pressure of both cylinders at the same time. Mind you, I could be misinformed. I have no way of verifying this other through an update, as I don't know anyone who dives sidemount in my area that uses transmitters (very few sidemount divers to begin with).

I don't have a Perdix anymore or I would test it for you. But, it seems highly unlikely.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I have a NERD2, which seems to be virtually identical to the Perdix AI in the display and way it works. My NERD2 is on the latest firmware and I use the AI on it all the time to monitor the tank pressure in my O2 and Dil cylinders on my CCR.

I'm actually hoping that all the MK1 needs is a software update or something.

I am extremely skeptical that the Descent has the radio receiver built into its hardware that it would need to receive the signal from an AI transmitter.

Unless Garmin comes out with their own AI transmitter that does something like use the ANT protocol, or maybe Bluetooth. But, I am also very skeptical of that happening, either.

I was just looking at the Descent videos and Owner's Manual. Both are pretty skimpy when it comes to info on the Descent's CCR support. There are videos for how to use it in every OTHER dive mode it offers - except CC mode.

But, if they came out with an AI version of the Descent, and IF it worked with the same transmitters that Shearwater, Aqualung, Oceanic, etc.. are working with, I would probably buy one. With no AI or not working with the Shearwater, et al, transmitters, I probably won't.

What worries me is the feeling that nags at me that Garmin introduced the Descent a while ago now and it seems like there have been no updates.

Some say it is a good thing: geo2 screen defect

Warning: 100% biased and very uninformed opinion as i've never even touched an MK1.

Return the MK1 while you can. Get a Teric.

I own two Perdix AI's and a black and yellow transmitter. I use one with a transmitter for rec diving. I use the second for when I do deco diving or when I'm on a liveaboard (i stick the second one in my shorts pocket just in case my primary craps out). Or when a good friend dives with me and I let them use the computer and transmitter. Plus I'm also setup for sidemount with transmitters working off different frequencies.

My wife has a Teric with transmitter. Its amazing and I dive confident with her knowing she's on a similar computer to mine.

I trust Shearwater. It's all they do.

For me I am sticking with the Perdix. Mostly because I don't want to have to deal with the charging so often and having a AA battery to replace is much more convienent for me. But I do admit I get envious when I see my wife's sleek watch versus the brick on my wrist.

In response to the OP's question, I have had several AI dive watches over the years. Loved them for their small size and cool factor but got to the point my old man eyes couldn't see the info displayed anymore. Got a Galileo Luna and put it on HUGE print mode. When it dies I'll get whatever the cool kids are using. M

I will correct you. My Perdix AI is on the latest firmware and I dived with twins (independent regs) on Saturday and it tracked both tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom