Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I banned swim thrus long ago for myself. I'll follow the bubbles and see y'all when you exit.

I'm surprised that we don't see accident reports from the Devils Throat dive, but I still consider it boring aside from the risks.

That's perfect! That describes exactly how I have been viewing them but couldn't find the words. Henceforth I shall refer to a swim-thru as an "underwater pony ride".

I personally love the underwater pony ride - to each his own. I like the exits, going from semi confined to open blue with all that structure but hey I'm an old man and can't see the small stuff so good - macro sharks is my thing.

The DM's I know try and do a good job at selecting swim thrus if any that fit the crowd but they aren't miracle workers and can't see the fourth or fifth guy behind them - you gotta speak up and work with your fellow divers if at all possible.

I love swim-throughs. That’s one of the reasons I choose Cozumel. If I want real macro, I go to Asia. Devil’s Throat is a remarkable dive that I enjoy every time. The underwater topography makes Coz special.

For every two that say they’ll dive elsewhere, Four new divers will visit Coz....it just won’t matter....

Don't agree with ya on that. No one who's a remotely knowledgeable/informed or well traveled diver will visit, the 'serious' diver (with their repeat visits $$$) will disappear from Coz. Dive shops won't organize trips there, upset customers are bad for future dive travel business. The demographic will change (for the worse), a trickle of clueless newbie/cruiser-pod people divers may still show up for the 1 or 2 'discover scuba diving' thing, once they get the obligatory T-shirt/'selfie' they'll check scuba off their to-do list forever. Not sure if Coz really needs zero-experience divers bouncing off their reefs at this point anyway.

Don't agree with ya on that. No one who's a remotely knowledgeable/informed or well traveled diver will visit, the 'serious' diver (with their repeat visits $$$) will disappear from Coz. Dive shops won't organize trips there, upset customers are bad for future dive travel business. The demographic will change (for the worse), a trickle of clueless newbie/cruiser-pod people divers may still show up for the 1 or 2 'discover scuba diving' thing, once they get the obligatory T-shirt/'selfie' they'll check scuba off their to-do list forever. Not sure if Coz really needs zero-experience divers bouncing off their reefs at this point anyway.

You act like there's nothing left to see here? The "rash" decision was upsetting to me and many others but the fact is there are great dive sites open here, more than you can see in a week. The diversity of this island from one tip to the other make it unlike anything else.

It always amazes me how many divers think DEEP = Best diving.
Personally, I would rather spend 90 minutes on a shallow dive, watching the fish and critters than a 90' dive for 15 minutes seeing very little.
I already have that check mark on scary deep dives on my bucket list, and it wasn't in Cozumel.

There is still plenty to see in my opinion. I think I have 1 dive in my last 20 in Cozumel that was on one of the closed sites. I love some of the others still open in the park and I really love the diving up north, especially in the colder months for the eagle rays.

:deadhorse:

This thread has become irrelevant and has been hijacked by multiple subjects. The reef Southern reef is closed until Dec. Please start a relavant thread to your discusion since the "Possible" is now real.

Hi would be great if anyone is currently in Cozumel , or going there soon , and could report back how the diving in the open sites is working out !!! Maybe the less common sites are equal or superior to the usual ??? Diving the North is an interesting subject to me, but , I've read the weather and conditions often prevent this and there's no shortage of stories of missing divers etc ( don't know how accurate these are). I've asked the operation looking after us in November to take us up North if conditions allow and admittedly a tad concerned. Any experience would be helpful , thanks.

How bad is it now?

Does anyone have recent and past reef pictures that would give us a visual comparative sense of how much change the Cozumel diver might expect to see if they returned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom