GoPro 7 or Weefine / Kraken smart housing?

GoPro or Weefine Smart Housing

• Weefine SHGoPro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaardo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm looking at adding video capability to my rig (Sony rx100 M3, Ikelite housing and dual ds161 (yeah, I know...)). I was initially looking at a GoPro with suit to mount on it but then thought that using my S9+ in a smart housing could be a neat alternative, for a similar price. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I would vote gopro based on size alone. Plus I imagine the sensor and housing in the gopro will have better results than a smartphone.

I would also vote GoPro for size, but also video quality. I haven't seen the recent versions of the WeeFine / Kraken software, but that software is what processes the video captured by the iPhone, not iOS. GoPro is a very large company with a big focus on video quality/processing.

Bumping up, with perhaps more experience out there. At the time, I settled for the GoPro. Major pro is definitely the wide angle but major con is incapacity to see what you're shooting...

I can also see the day (if not already) where your phone expands the capabilities of your drive computer/watch. Apple already offers some nice data gathering.

I think it depends on what your photo and video priorities are, plus how you want to use the system.
- GoPro for easy video.
- Smartphone housing for still photos, macro, and creating Reels (all media in one place without work).

Great timing: I just published a video on this topic here:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom